Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear speaker sounds distant and doesn't have any bass

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear speaker sounds distant and doesn't have any bass

My left rear speaker maybe blown? It sounds really off in the distance and it has no bass compared to the right rear speaker. The fronts work great and it says I have the premium sound system which I'm guessing has the subwoofer. My question is, am I looking at replacing the speaker? Also where is the sub located on these trucks?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

For a supercrew (don't know what you have) it is under the drivers side back seat. To see if the speaker is working at all just use the fader and balance to transfer ALL the way to that speaker. If it is not working properly I would fist suggest you pull the door panel off and look at the speaker itself. See if there is any obvious damage. Then double check the connection to the back of the speaker and then check the wires going through the rubber in between the door and the body. If nothing there then pull the radio and check connections behind there. Do you have the factory head unit in there still or has someone rewired? If all that passes then it might be time for a new speaker.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Also you can try with the radio turned on-Try depressing & holding buttons 4 & 6 on the radio to do a speaker self-test or 'speaker walk-around". It should sequence from LF/RF/LR/RR then subwoofer and sound will shift as the signal changes location. There will also be a message showing which is 'on' as it does this. If sub is not present or disconnected it will say no subwoofer.
Older Ford radios used buttons 3&6. If in doubt try 3-5 3-6 & 4-6 --one of these will work. doesn't matter what model Ford truck/car.
Good Luck, I have replace the rear passenger and needs replaced again...
The following users liked this post:
BadFish523 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eagle
Also you can try with the radio turned on-Try depressing & holding buttons 4 & 6 on the radio to do a speaker self-test or 'speaker walk-around". It should sequence from LF/RF/LR/RR then subwoofer and sound will shift as the signal changes location. There will also be a message showing which is 'on' as it does this. If sub is not present or disconnected it will say no subwoofer.
Older Ford radios used buttons 3&6. If in doubt try 3-5 3-6 & 4-6 --one of these will work. doesn't matter what model Ford truck/car.
Good Luck, I have replace the rear passenger and needs replaced again...

That's a handy piece of diagnostic information to know! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

The sub will be under the rear seat. Its not too hard to pop the panel and see whats going on in there. I replaced the rears on mine bc one was blown and popping like crazy. Infinitys were only around $60/pair at amazon.
Attached Thumbnails Rear speaker sounds distant and doesn't have any bass-20161007_111252.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default You are welcome.

Originally Posted by StephenG
That's a handy piece of diagnostic information to know! Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you like it, I hope it helps.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FordBoy05
My left rear speaker maybe blown? It sounds really off in the distance and it has no bass compared to the right rear speaker. The fronts work great and it says I have the premium sound system which I'm guessing has the subwoofer. My question is, am I looking at replacing the speaker? Also where is the sub located on these trucks?
Even with the premium sound, the factory speakers are barely acceptable. They are cheap cones and cost about $8 each to replace.

Even with good speakers, the location of the rear speakers make them better for "fill", using your front speakers to drive most of the sound.

Replacing all the speakers will improve the sound, but unless you're going to replace the sub speaker (sub box located under rear set on driver's side on a screw) and add amps, I'd just replace the rears without spending too much money and call it good.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was going to try the button trick but I realized I don't have number buttons on my radio. It is a aftermarket pioneer radio. I filtered all the sound to the left rear speaker and it sounds completely different than the rest. Also I have a extended cab (supercab) and the sub is not located under my rear seats.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM

My guess is wiring behind the radio. Most likely who ever put the radio in did a poor job on the wiring.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:23 PM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FordBoy05
I was going to try the button trick but I realized I don't have number buttons on my radio. It is a aftermarket pioneer radio. I filtered all the sound to the left rear speaker and it sounds completely different than the rest. Also I have a extended cab (supercab) and the sub is not located under my rear seats.
Then its like you have no sub. In the op you mentioned a lack of bass right? I need a sub myself....