Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Sliding Glass Stopped Working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Sliding Glass Stopped Working.

My rear sliding glass stopped working in my 04 Lariat. This is the first problem I've had with one of the windows in my truck. I had probably every window go out in my old Jeep and had to replace the motor in the doors. But when researching this problem on the truck I found that the actual switch goes out on these and you need to replace the switch not the window motor. How do you figure out which one is the problem. Both the motor and the switch are around 50 bucks online so I'd like to save some cash and just replace the problem part instead of both. Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Easiest way is to take a simple test light (looks like a screwdriver with a bulb in it's handle, and a long wire with a clip you attach to a ground). A multi-meter works good too if you have that. Start at the switch. Unplug the connector to the switch and probe the connections for power (the test light tool has a probe; touch it to the wire side connector, and see if the light comes on indicating power). If no power, then move towards the fuse box; this is where it gets difficult without a factory wiring book, as it describes all the connectors and their locations as you'd move towards the fuse boc looking for the open circuit. If you do have power at the connector going to the switch, then move to the connector that plugs into the motor for the window.

I'll assume that you've already checked the fuse for this circuit. And don't forget to turn the key to the "on" position if it's required to operate the window.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to clean around the window -clean and lube the cable and push on the window a little. Worked like a charm for me and some others on the forum
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Kind of random but when I bought my truck the rear window didnt work (known issue when bought) so one day while showing a friend the truck i showed him how the rear window didnt work so i hot the button like 6 times back to back and it kicked on, it has worked since lol. though i need to possibly clean or at least lubricate it because when it guess half open it struggle a lot.
The following users liked this post:
Hunter40 (01-12-2014)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'm getting a week out of school for fall break starting Friday so I'll be home to start trouble shooting. I'll give everybody's suggestions a try. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get the window fixed ?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and my buddy installs windows in cars and replaces a lot of these motors and he told me to take the seat out, find the motor and tap on the medal casing a Lil bit with a screwdriver. I know it sounds weird but it worked and hasn't locked up since. Supposably when not used for a while the motor will seize up so before you spend money on it try this quick trick

Quick Reply: Rear Sliding Glass Stopped Working.