Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear lights went out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear lights went out while driving

Hello everyone!!! Another problem to fix maybe idk hopefully one of you will.
So yesterday i was driving home at night and then put my lights on to make a right turn. That's when i noticed my lights blinking at a incredibly fast rate. So i pulled into the first lot i could find and started to check **** out. Ohh yeah this was at night time so it sucked if i got pulled over for stupidness. So lucky my mechanic friend was with me also to follow me and lmk this occured. Everything was off in the back and turn signals didnt work also but the whole front end did even with signals awkward. Anyways we got to my house no tickets from cops and shut the car off. So went into the garage and got my meter to test some circuits. By the time i did that my homie got them back on and i was like wtf u do? All i did was turn the switch to off and back on. I was ****ing shocked.
So if anyone has had this occur what was your problem?
Also where should i check and what way you believe i should go about it. I have knowledge in electrical from going to electrical class for 8 months and HVAC for past 2 years and my mechanic friend as well so yeah were always down to play and learn new vehicles. Thank you
Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Check in the jamb of your driver door, inside the rubber boot you'll probably find a wire that's about to be punched in 2. If you do find one like that just use a but connector. It's a PITA getting to and fooling with those wires so take your time
Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 PM

Ok i will try that in the morning and let you know what i find.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OK first thing you do is forget most of what you learned about electrical in class, that was AC you are dealing with DC voltage here.

If you have an amp probe see what the circuit is drawing. the easiest way may be to use a fuse with pigtails on it and check the draw there. I can't remember for sure if the lights are just fused or if they also run through a breaker in the headlight switch. From your description it sounds like either a weak relay or breaker somewhere.

The fast turn signal is an indicator that a t/s light is not working, Bulb, connection etc.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by gmb13
OK first thing you do is forget most of what you learned about electrical in class, that was AC you are dealing with DC voltage here.

If you have an amp probe see what the circuit is drawing. the easiest way may be to use a fuse with pigtails on it and check the draw there. I can't remember for sure if the lights are just fused or if they also run through a breaker in the headlight switch. From your description it sounds like either a weak relay or breaker somewhere.

The fast turn signal is an indicator that a t/s light is not working, Bulb, connection etc.
Ok so i didn't try anything yet due to high calls for heat at work. So got 3 days to figure it out. Heres what im dealing with. All the back lights are out when the car goes into the fast turn signaling. I did notice that one of the licenses plate lights were out completely. Does the whole rear light circuit connect with one another? Like turn signals rear lights and license plate lights? If i change them all which i already bought and still having problem what is my next step. Thank you for your help so far.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:13 PM

Ok, so you have tail lights with out the t/s flashing? Check the fuses first, if they are good start working from the back.
If you have a test light, pull the connector at the rear apart and check for power there. Chase witch ever way from there, If there is power work back if there is none go forward. Don't forget to check ground connections also, bad grounds will cause all kinds of weird things to happen. if you have a trailer light connector check there too.

You can pull a wire diagram with wire color from autozone.com, that will help too.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM

i found the problem. Connector for the rear light assembly was loose. Did all you told me to do as well and was all fine. Ran into a guy at work today with sane problem before on one of his trucks bet me 5 bucks it was that problem. Lets say im $2.50 cents short cause i wasn't going to a bank for 2.50. Lol so trucks back to normal. Gonna get a better look at it in morningm its 8 oclock here in northeast America
Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 PM

Easy fix!!! the best kind!
You may want to put a little dielectric grease in the connector if you have any to prevent corrosion. Also trailer connectors too.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:38 PM

personally i dont but i know someone who might so waking them up early tomorrow. Lol thank you for all your help man. It was a pleasure learning.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:02 AM

glad to be able to help.