Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear driver side leaf spring.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear driver side leaf spring.

I will never try to do this again. I’ve replaced 3 of these in my lifetime and I forgot how incredibly difficult this process is when using common garage repair tools.

I know I should do these in pairs but I’m not going to.

Now to my issue: I was able to install on both front and rear end into their respective knuckles. But the center 2 circle slot won’t line up by about a quarter inch. It’s sitting forward of those dots in the u bracket that holds the spring to the axle.

I’m at a loss in how to get this aligned and defaulted to tightening it down misaligned in hopes that hitting a mild bump will move it into place. Thoughts?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Will probably not work the way you want it to... might try loosening everything up including the other side to get it all seated.

If you’re on your 3rd spring, I’d be inclined to say something is not straight with your frame or mounta where the spring goes.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Will probably not work the way you want it to... might try loosening everything up including the other side to get it all seated.

If you’re on your 3rd spring, I’d be inclined to say something is not straight with your frame or mounta where the spring goes.

What can I really loosen? All the bolts are on fixed brackets.

Is my only option here to jack up the frame and lower the axle as low as she’ll go?

1st spring on this trick. At 280k miles
2 on old truck from years ago.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:22 PM

Well folks — the ride to work was bumpy enough to jump the newly installed leaf spring into the slots.

Obviously this isn’t a recommended path as a hard enough jolt the wrong could have bounced the leaf onto the hub/axle — but I thought I’d share the good news. (The ultimate good news is about Jesus Christ and the coming of the Kingdom)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:44 AM

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Im not sure what religion has to do with this...

But anyway, since you only replaced one side, is there a height difference between the new spring and the old one?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
Im not sure what religion has to do with this...

But anyway, since you only replaced one side, is there a height difference between the new spring and the old one?
Naturally. But it’s slight. Got a grade A salvage part. The hope is that their flex is closer than a new spring.

With th these things running between 200-350$ I didn’t have the heart to spend $500 on a truck with 280,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Rear driver side leaf spring.