Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Rear Axle Bearings Grease or No?

Old 01-27-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rear Axle Bearings Grease or No?

Trying to track down a jump in my drivers side rear. I did the obvious like rotate tires, balance and line up the truck then changed the rear shocks. Last I put on new rotors and brakes. When I had the rotor off I saw a slight leak in the seal so that will be the next step and give me a chance to look in the rear cover to see if the gears are messed up.

My question is that when seating the bearing do I need to put anything on them before seating? None of the instructions I've seen mention it but I've never seated bearings without putting some type of grease, fluid or whatever on to protect a little before the rear fluid gets to them.

What say you?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Yes, grease the outer race for install.

Some people pack the bearings with grease, I'm in the camp that says the diff lube takes care of them. I always just throw a light film on the rollers for "initial start up" if you will.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never run across a "too much lubrication" condition on bearings. If I can see the rollers, I pack them. What can it possibly hurt?
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 199 Likes on 187 Posts

I've just always installed them and let it ride. Make sure to clean the axle surface up with some emery cloth and check for a groove from the seal. Might be time for an axle saver bearing it it's grooved deep.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:06 AM

Well, 3 answers and 3 different opinions! Pack them, light film and install as is. lol.

Anyone else? I'm leaning towards coating with Diff Fluid and installing after spraying the race way with Ballistol or some other lube to ease the install.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm a believer that the diff lube takes care of the bearing. I rub them in the diff lube before install for ease of installation.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 600 Likes on 488 Posts

Coating them with gear lube is fine. Personally I give them a light coat of grease to keep them happy till the oil gets there, but that's me.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 267 Likes on 213 Posts

Coating or packing with grease means you are introducing grease into your gear lube.

If you choose to pack you must realize that the diff lube will wash it all out and it will end up in the gear lube. This will change the lubricating qualities of the gear lube.

Would you put a shot of bearing grease into the diff when you change the gear lube?
Didn't think so.

No grease, none at all.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

just changing the axle shaft seal, you shouldn't even have a bearing out. I would
put a little oil on the bearings if I had them out. If the truck has a limited slip axle
don't use grease. I used to grease the bearings on super dutys and larger when I had the hub off, but they are totally different do to a full floating axle.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by greasyknuckles View Post
just changing the axle shaft seal, you shouldn't even have a bearing out. I would
put a little oil on the bearings if I had them out. If the truck has a limited slip axle
don't use grease. I used to grease the bearings on super dutys and larger when I had the hub off, but they are totally different do to a full floating axle.
The bearing is coming out because of a jump in the rear drivers side. I want to see if it is damaged and causing it. As it is coming out I'll just replace it with a new one. I'll wait until the passenger side makes noise or jumps to do that one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: