Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

question about spindles on lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default question about spindles on lift

ok, so i am required to take my lift off my truck to import it into canada.

since this is a total pain in the *****, i am going to take the lift off and trailer it over the border.

my question is, if i take off the front frame drop thing and knock out the rear blocks, can i bolt the lower control arm back up to the frame with the longer spindles on? or will i need to put stock ones on there?

i will NOT be driving it in this configuration, except onto a trailer.

will this work to make it look like the truck is no longer lifted??
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM

no one? c'mon f150ers
Old 07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
WHO DEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ignorant to the canadian laws, with that being said, you are not allowed to have lifted trucks?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM

its b/s .

the lift is legal in the US, legal in Canada, but the canadian dink slappers at the border will not allow a lifted truck into the country. its considered inadmissable with suspension mods.

therefore i have to take the lift off, throw it in the box of the truck, drive it over this imaginary line and then i can put it back on..

how stupid is that??

this is why im looking for the easier way to make it appear the lift is off.

im for sure bringing a trailer down i only live an hour from the US border where its sitting. but i dont have the stock parts so i want to just take out the rear blocks and front frame drop if this is possible to bolt everything back up with the extended spindles..

Last edited by schissler; 07-13-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait WHAT?
Lifts are legal in US, same lift can be bought and installed IN canada, just cant be driven over from US to Canada? What if you are vacationing and just are driving your personal Lifted truck into Canada eh? lol, sorry, had to say atleast 1 "eh". but seriously, what if you were visiting, would you get told to turn around, buh bye?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you have a US friend drive it through the border "just visiting" and then happen to leave it there?

Or, if you took off the tires and drive it through on the trailer with the axles resting on some type of blocks do you think they'd even notice? I'd doubt your average border guard would recognize it as a lifted truck without the wheels on it for a visual reference.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The real question is what exactly are they saying is the problem. You are allowed to drive vehicles with suspension mods across the border...BUT...once in Canada it must be a road legal vehicle to be allowed on our roadways. Things like tires can extend outside fenders and other such laws might be whats stopping you.

Sounds to me like you mis-heard or mis-interpeted what was said. Might want to double check on just what they did say, and ask for the law or bylaw number.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by VanoFord
Wait WHAT?
Lifts are legal in US, same lift can be bought and installed IN canada, just cant be driven over from US to Canada? What if you are vacationing and just are driving your personal Lifted truck into Canada eh? lol, sorry, had to say atleast 1 "eh". but seriously, what if you were visiting, would you get told to turn around, buh bye?
theyre legal in canada yes.

BUT there is apparently an exception of when you're importing from US-Canada. they have specific dumbass rules and regulations.

once the vehicle is in canada it will be a non issue crossing back and forth.

stupid, eh? lol

Originally Posted by thump
Can't you have a US friend drive it through the border "just visiting" and then happen to leave it there?

Or, if you took off the tires and drive it through on the trailer with the axles resting on some type of blocks do you think they'd even notice? I'd doubt your average border guard would recognize it as a lifted truck without the wheels on it for a visual reference.
i thought about this.

a canadian/american cannot cross the border driving a vehicle from the other country. it would be considered a foreign vehicle and you would either get turned around or have the vehicle seized.

If you take the tires of and put it on a trailer, A) im already flagged at the border for this since i tried importing it once. and B) if they consider a vehicle not drivable, they will import it on the condition of "parts only" where you will not be able to register the vehicle for use, but as parts only. f'n lame!!

and finally C) if someone from the US did that i would not be able in insure the vehicle here since it was never imported and is still an american vehicle.

Originally Posted by Dynamic
The real question is what exactly are they saying is the problem. You are allowed to drive vehicles with suspension mods across the border...BUT...once in Canada it must be a road legal vehicle to be allowed on our roadways. Things like tires can extend outside fenders and other such laws might be whats stopping you.

Sounds to me like you mis-heard or mis-interpeted what was said. Might want to double check on just what they did say, and ask for the law or bylaw number.
the problem is the lift kit. they said to take the lift off and you can bring this vehicle in the country. they also stated i dont even have to remove the tires.

i have a lawyer appealing the matter and we requested that the vehicle be imported into canada and i will go for a federal safety inspection on the vehicle. this request was denied. they want the lift off before it enters the country.

under Transport Canada regulation of importing a vehicle:

Lift Kits:

55. A lift kit (also know as suspension kit or leveling kit) modifies a vehicle to raise the ride height of the vehicle. Pick-up trucks, SUV’s or passenger cars fitted with a lift kit are inadmissible to Canada.

I really should have looked this up further on my own. Before purchasing this i spoke with a friend who owns a 2008 lifted tundra that was from Colorado. he failed to tell me he lifted it AFTER arriving in canada so i thought everything was going to be good doing this.

Definately isnt saving me any money buying down south with all this hassel now!!

Last edited by schissler; 07-13-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

I'd think using the longer spindle without the drop brackets would work as long as the ball joints can take the angle, and your CV shafts could compress far enough for your to bolt them up. The coilovers might limit the upward travel of the UCAs with the longer spindles though.

Do the lift spindles just compensate for the LCA drop, or do they drop the axle opening closer to the LCA as well?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM

that is what im wondering, its not like ill be driving it so as long as itll bolt up im fine with that.

Quick Reply: question about spindles on lift