Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

puttering sound under the hood.bad sensor,MAF or vaccum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default puttering sound under the hood.bad sensor,MAF or vaccum leak?

drove 2 hours and back today.5 mins from home,it starts acting up.runs fine except there's a puttering sound coming from under the hood.we all thought the front end bumper became loose and was scraping against the tire? def not the issue here.

this issue is coming from somewhere on top of the motor,right side of the oil manifold,close to the spark plug area,putters like a train "putt putt putt PUTT PUTT putt putt"......it'll raise lil bit of smoke when it putts putts louder.I've worked on vehicles alot,but this...this......i have no idea?!....drives fine,rattles slightlyyyyyyy,tad.sound gets louder and more rapid as speed increases.got home few mins ago,turned truck off and restarted it back up.starts up just fine,but "putting" sound is still there clear as day.what's wrong with it? i can take a pic of the area where the problem is coming from,just ask.

also,i need an url for codes for a 08 ford f150 xlt if someone has them? My stepdad has the book,but i can get the codes in the mean time.This is my stepdad's truck.he's a guru to fords,but he's 1 1/2 hrs south of me.

is this a serious internal issue or cover surface area issue? possibly a vaccum leak? MAF needs sprayed and cleaned? oil is mixing with gas? bad catalyic converter? any ideas? i NEED help.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaky exhaust manifold?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

loose spark plug possibly, will ru ok till she blows it out. Ive blew 5 of 8 on my lightning. Ford had fixed that problem on 01 and later though. Or as stated above, manifold.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

I found the culprit.it's a busted hose right next to the fuel rail,NOT on the fuel rail i believe not.the hose is obviously blown into 3 shredded pieces.there's only like 1 1/2" long left of it.where the rest went or what happened? beats me! truck runs fine regardless but man that puttering sound is LOUD.exhaust manifold hose of some sort? hose is on left side,far rear end of truck in the back.what caused it to blow up,explode like that? i can feel there's a metal like piece inside what's left of the hose.

easy fix or this gona take some time?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by sglover
loose spark plug possibly, will ru ok till she blows it out. Ive blew 5 of 8 on my lightning. Ford had fixed that problem on 01 and later though. Or as stated above, manifold.
you're right,it must of been a loose spark plug.thing is,we had to buy something to re-thread the whole cylinder today,along with a new spark plug.however,we still have a problem.spark plug wont go in at all after threading,it wont sit or get tight,keeps coming back out.

both stepdad and i came to an agreement.the piston literally blew out the plug messing up the threads permanently.we either need a new LARGER spark and make a new thread just as large cause the old thread is gone.i mean cmon........all that pressure from the piston moving would cause the metal plug to bust through the aluminum cylinder,had to of been.right?

my stepdads a guru to fords,but this one....he needs help with.we're working round the clock trying to fix it.

do you all think we need to just simply re-thread it with a larger thread and give it a larger plug? the new plug we got wont stay in,cylinder wall has got to be stripped.or is there an easier,quicker,less expensive,more efficient,and better way to explain this away?

any,and all,help is needed and appreciated guys!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably fixed by now but Ford makes a thread kit for this similar to a helicoil. Sorry dont have any part #S. Nvermind didnt see it was a hose.

Quick Reply: puttering sound under the hood.bad sensor,MAF or vaccum leak?