Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

A project for my son had taken a turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A project for my son had taken a turn

heres the story. I bought my son a 2004 f150 4wd with a bad engine. Paid 1000 dollars for it. Purchased an engine from a local salvage yard for 900 with 95000 miles on it. I removed the engine and put all parts needed on the new engine. Installed new engine with no issues at all. Before I connected the ac compressor and the power steering pump I decided I would try to crank it since the engine was used. I hooked up all the wiring and boom the engine fired right up no issues. I ran it approx 3 minutes spent a couple days wrapping thing up with the radiator and stuff. We finished I was going to crank it and let it get warm. The truck will turn over but will not start. Has good fuel pressure. I checked most all the connectors. I’ve been racking my brain now 2 days with no luck. Please hep
Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

have you checked for any codes?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 628 Likes on 565 Posts

4.6 or 5.4 , same year engine ?Are you getting spark on a spark tester .Maybe you blew a fuse in your later work or disturbed something . Check all fuses . What is your theft light doing ,may give you an idea of pcm power . .Are headlights coming on ?Is your crank sensor clean and connected . Spray some fuel in and see if she fires .Do you have obd power ,will it read pcm . Pcm plugs clean and tight not reversed.
If she cranks then pcm is giving ground signal to start relay.That should clear up that pcm power and theft system okay .12vdc positive should be standing on cops with key on .same on injectors pcm just pulses ground to these systems .
Crank sensor is key to signal pcm ,possible you affected crank plug when doing ac compressor its right there and tight . Plus you could have pinched wires .
Check your O2 sensor wires off exhaust ,they are bad about melting .
Thats enough for now .,later check for massive vacuum leak .

Quick Reply: A project for my son had taken a turn