Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Preparing to travel

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing to travel

I have a 2004 f150 lariat, with 180k miles and many problems later i wanted to know if anyone knows what can i do to prevent it from breaking down and some tips to do. Im going all the way to mexico and i live in Illinois, my intention is to go during the winter, and want to haul a trailer with a car in it. any tips??? i took it to mexico 4 times already but the last time we had a couple of issues. first the snow tires that we installed kept on loosing pressure. the truck started shaking heavily at high speed, and would loose power at random times. and for some reason there is a rattling noise under the truck. any help will be appreciated.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd take it to a good shop, and have it checked thoroughly. While these trucks are still reliable in the higher mileage range, they can break down like any other vehicle. Add a tow trailer, and it adds to the equation.

What engine does this truck have? What prior maintenance has been done?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

snow tires in Mexico ? get another set of summer tires and do a tune-up.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

The tires that were installed were probably garbage. Alignment and balancing may fix the shaking. Could be worn suspension components as well. As far as the losing power and rattle, could be phasers or spark issues. Either way, give any vehicle you travel in a good look over, if you're not mechanically inclined, take it to a reputable shop and have them do it. It's good peace of mind.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mexicutiioner
I have a 2004 f150 lariat, with 180k miles and many problems later i wanted to know if anyone knows what can i do to prevent it from breaking down and some tips to do. Im going all the way to mexico and i live in Illinois, my intention is to go during the winter, and want to haul a trailer with a car in it. any tips??? i took it to mexico 4 times already but the last time we had a couple of issues. first the snow tires that we installed kept on loosing pressure. the truck started shaking heavily at high speed, and would loose power at random times. and for some reason there is a rattling noise under the truck. any help will be appreciated.
The shaking were does it feel like it is coming from? I.e. The engine, steering, tiers? It might be the u-joints on the drive shaft if they are really bad. Easy to check just lift both back tires of the ground put the gears in neutral and then see if the drive shaft moves, up, down, side to side. If it does even a lilt the u-joints are bad.

Do you still have the snow tires on? I know here in Idaho snow tiers are only aloud during the winter months.

But like 650nutKase says Garbage tires sound like that's why the truck is vibrating.

Quick Reply: Preparing to travel