Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PowerStop extreme pad/rotor kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:23 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 338 Likes on 252 Posts
Default PowerStop extreme pad/rotor kit

Halfway through install, here's the front. Bought this whole brake kit before I got divorced, haha, stored this sucker in the garage. Finally got around to installing it.

Looks pretty

Directions say when I'm all done I have to do a breakin procedure, like brake 40-0 5 times aggressively and you will smell the resin without letting them cool in between. Then let the brakes cool then 25-5 5 times and letting them cool in between.

Never heard of that but I'll do it, I'm in a populated area some guys will get pissed off behind me.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:03 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Sounds like you are going to go on a short trip to a country road

Or get up at 5 am and go to large mall parking lot and go at it .
Its pretty but where's the picture of the pretty divorcee . Just kidding been there done that . Guys suffer too .
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I did this same (Z36 pads and rotors) on all four two weeks ago and did the breakin early the next morning.

Best brakes on any vehicle I have owned. Modulation is excellent and stopping ability is impressive.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Just got done, it went well except the rear rotors were seized and I was banging away with a hammer for like 30 minutes and smashing the backside and it finally came off.

I did make one mistake and on the passenger rear caliper I had a screwdriver in there trying to pry it away from the rotor and I accidentally nicked the dust boot on it. So it has a small tear.

What do I need to do to fix this? Do I need a new caliper or can i just replace this boot? I already put the truck all back together because I can't drive anywhere to get parts without it, lol.

I looked online a new OEM caliper is around $77, maybe I'll just chance it and buy a new caliper down the road if it seizes up or whatever..................

What should I do here?

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 03-25-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

In the future place the pry instrument between the rotor and old pad. Pry with the tip pushing the piston back into the caliper. This will give you more leverage and keep from marring the rotor. It's too easy to tear the boot if you work from the other side of the pad.

You need to fix it. sooner is better than later as it will allow moisture to enter the area, which will lead to a bigger fix down the road. Remove the caliper and gently pry out the boot and replace. A new caliper will require bleeding that caliper and cost more.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Cool, i didn't know it was that easy to fix, thought I needed to disassemble the piston to get the new boot on.

I'll just get a new boot tomorrow.

Thanks man.

EDIT

After some research looks like I have to take apart the piston to get the new boot on, what a PITA. It says I can't install a new one with the piston in as the boot can't be installed without the piston being removed(it has to be in a grove that is not accessible if the piston is there. I rather pay the $70 for a new caliper that mess around for 2 hours trying to repair an 11 year old caliper, so in that case I'll have to replace the thing anyway so I'll leave it as is. If it lasts until my next pad change great if not I'll change the caliper when/if it fails.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 03-25-2017 at 08:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsylvstr (03-07-2018)