Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Motive brake beeder

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Power Motive brake beeder

Anyone ever used one of these? Any good or bad stories?

ALSO, and don't crucify me here, but DOT3 or DOT4 in our trucks? And which has the highest specs for boiling point, wet and dry? I read the Motorcraft was very high in dry boiling point (550*), but that was several years ago and that it is not as good now...

I think I need to get my brakes bled and taken care of...

Thanks...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the brake bleeder and it worked great. Only used it once. I read that the cap is sometimes hard to get on but I didn't have any issues with it. Great purchase for me as I am usually alone when working on my truck in the shop so nice to be able to bleed brakes so easily. Also, it will work on different vehicles (you will need a different cap for each brand of vehicle).

Dot 3 and Dot 4 are almost identical. Although, I think the cap says Dot 3.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a Motive bleeder and have used it for years. You will need the right cap for the brake fluid reservoir, but there is a Ford specific cap you can get. The same cap also works for Subarus. Works pretty darn well.

DOT 3 and 4 are compatible. They are also compatible with DOT 5.1. Do NOT use DOT 5. DOT 5 is silicone based and hydrophobic (doesn't absorb water). For passenger vehicles, you want your brake fluid to absorb water so it doesn't rust out your lines. It's also why your brake fluid will start to get dark and brakes start to feel mushy. Which reminds me...

Regardless, DOT 3 and 4 are compatible. I tend to go for the higher number because it makes me feel like I'm doing something more special. Follow whatever the owner's manual says. If it says DOT 4, use DOT 4.

Eville Rich
2006 scab
Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 PM

Ford says DOT3, but the higher boiling points of DOT4 seem to be more in line with stopping a heavy truck...am I wrong here?

For the Power bleeder, did you have the red label (plastic) or black label (metal) cap? Does the plastic one work well?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine is the plastic one and it works fine for me. $64 off Amazon.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:19 AM

Excellent - thanks, I winder if the metal cap can be purchased separately later...

OK, so what is the best DOT3 fluid out there at this point? I just have no clue what is and what is not decent when it comes to brakes, which means I have been neglecting them badly...

Quick Reply: Power Motive brake beeder