Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Power Mirror Fix Attempt #2: Electrical Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power Mirror Fix Attempt #2: Electrical Advice Needed

After a long pause, I am back to trying to figure out how to get my power mirrors to work.

Recap: The power mirrors don't work. At all. I do not have power/heated seats or pedals. I already replaced the mirror switch and that didn't do anything.

So far, I have verified the #3 fuse, all good. I am getting power to that fuse. I have removed the drivers side door panel and verified that both the mirror and the mirror switch have good grounds. The switch is not getting power, on any of the wires. I read somewhere that the green/orange wire should be hot (can anyone verify this?). None of the other wires were hot either.

So, I know that there is a problem between the fuse and the door. Tracing that down is my objective. First of all, can someone verify the wire color? I think it is supposed to be green/orange.

I read that there is a relatively common problem with a splice in a green/orange wire which is *supposedly* right at the base of the kick plate. I think they are talking about the drivers side, but I am not sure. I pulled all the tape off the drivers side bundle that is running straight up into the dash (see picture).

Is this spliced wire somewhere else? The passengers side perhaps? The only green/orange wire I found on the drivers side looks like this:

I followed that wire as far as I could, but I couldn't find a splice. Plus no one said anything about the wire being with another one like that.

I am assuming that the wire that runs to the switch is going to be the exact same color all the way correct? I have not traced the green/orange one from off the mirror switch because it goes into the drivers side and I am cautious about taking a bunch of stuff off just to figure out where this wire goes. But if I have to I might. Does anyone know where that wire resurfaces? I could poke it with a wire to check for continuity with my multimeter to the end up by the switch.

I read that someone suggested simply jumping off the window power wire to the switch and that solved their problem. I might consider doing that as last resort, but I would rather do it the right way if possible.

What are your suggestions or experience with this issue? Where is this wire routed over to the fuse box? Does it run through the dash I am guessing or elsewise?

Thanks!
Nathan
Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default green with orange stripe is in front of your finger

use a test light and sharp pins to pierce insulation . Door jam gets opened many times breaking copper wires inside of insulation .
Old 03-19-2017, 11:31 AM

After some further reading last night I am going to look behind the fuse box. There are several wired back here though that are orange and green. Wish me luck.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If there's a break in the hot lead, it's a 90% or greater chance that it will be in the rubber tube from the door jamb to the switch. As another poster mentioned, the constant opening/closing of the door over time will make the wiring in the door jamb tube flex and break.

Ford helped this out by making that wiring a connector with pins at the door jamb, which significantly reduced the wire flex at that location. It happened sometime around 2006 or 2007. My 2007 has a pin/plug arrangement, but my 2005 had wiring passing through the jamb to inner door.
The following users liked this post:
Blenderite (03-24-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
If there's a break in the hot lead, it's a 90% or greater chance that it will be in the rubber tube from the door jamb to the switch. As another poster mentioned, the constant opening/closing of the door over time will make the wiring in the door jamb tube flex and break.

Ford helped this out by making that wiring a connector with pins at the door jamb, which significantly reduced the wire flex at that location. It happened sometime around 2006 or 2007. My 2007 has a pin/plug arrangement, but my 2005 had wiring passing through the jamb to inner door.
Thanks, I will check the rubber tube. I would guess I should focus on the drivers side then correct? Since the power wire only goes to the switch.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Start at the plug on pin plug in the door right where the mirror bolts up, work your way down to the switch, then work your way down through the door and through the rubber tube. This only requires you to remove the door panel which is about a 3 minute procedure. Let us know what you find.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 AM

I got the mirrors fixed! It ended up being the wire was broken in the rubber tube in the driver's side door jamb!

I went ahead and recorded a video to hopefully help out other people to find a solution quicker. It would have taken me a lot longer to figure this out without your help, so thank you very much!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Normal description of wire is body color first then stripe

ORANGE/green is a orange wire with green stripe . But that's us electrical people .
Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by redfishtd
ORANGE/green is a orange wire with green stripe . But that's us electrical people .
Whoops! I should have double checked that. Thanks!