Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

possible tranny issue q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question possible tranny issue q's

truck has a shudder. happens more after its coasting with no throttle then i apply throttle to acelerate and it shudders for maybe 2-3 seconds. have had it happen while accelerating up a hill a couple times aswell
is this a tranny shifting issue?
torque converter?
truck has 209000 kms on it. 5.4L

just bought it for 9grand and have put 1000k on it. should i look at trading it in now on a new f150 before the tranny goes and let them deal with it?
Old 09-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

Any maintenance record of when the last tune up was done? Is it throwing any codes? Year?
Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two fixes here.
If you have a 4 X 4, only. My 2004 didn't shudder after coasting, but it had a bang as if someone hit me in the rear. This went on for about a year. When I purchased a special grease from FORD for splines, and put it on the spline of the back drive line, after removing from the transfer case, then the banging feel went away for a little over a year. Time to do it again. Turns out, I noticed that the back drive line where it enters the transfer case, there is no oil at that location high in the transfer case. So, the spline never gets lubed. It gets dry and binds up in the shaft between coasting and acceleration. It was worse when using cruse control.
Hope that this helps.

Any F-150. If your trans starts to shutter when in Over Drive, then you trans will need a shift kit from Trans-Go installed. Ford didn't make their Transmission powerful enough to keep high pressure to the torque converter where the clutch is located for the lock-up for the over drive and it slips just like a car clutch that has a weak clutch with oil on it. I had to put one in mine and it works great. It will require removing the shift valve body and drilling holes and replacing springs and valve bodies. However, the kit comes with every thing but valve body gaskets to fix every mistake that FORD didn't address when you bought your truck. Works great.
Hope that this fix helps.
Thanks,
A56nomad
Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmodayj
truck has a shudder. happens more after its coasting with no throttle then i apply throttle to acelerate and it shudders for maybe 2-3 seconds. have had it happen while accelerating up a hill a couple times aswell
is this a tranny shifting issue?
torque converter?
truck has 209000 kms on it. 5.4L

just bought it for 9grand and have put 1000k on it. should i look at trading it in now on a new f150 before the tranny goes and let them deal with it?
Sounds like a mis-fire to me.. plugs need replaced
Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like plugs. I had the same thing happening to me about a month after i bought my truck (30 day warranty expired, perfect timing) would shutter when slowly passing on the interstate or slowly accelerating uphill to maintain speed. The check engine light did not come one until it did it on the interstate at about 80mph. I brought it to my mechanic, he put in new plugs for $964 and it hasn't done it since.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 PM

I shouldn't say plugs, it could be a number of things, but definitly sounds like a misfire, start with plugs, then wires, then check coils
Old 09-30-2015, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoKers06
I shouldn't say plugs, it could be a number of things, but definitly sounds like a misfire, start with plugs, then wires, then check coils
If his truck has plug wires there's a problem..
Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 PM

Sorry Connor, my mistake, I'm still relatively new, I'm used to my 97 Ranger with wires. But yes no plug wires on these trucks. I think you get the picture however, plugs is where to start because it sounds like a misfire.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoKers06
Sorry Connor, my mistake, I'm still relatively new, I'm used to my 97 Ranger with wires. But yes no plug wires on these trucks. I think you get the picture however, plugs is where to start because it sounds like a misfire.
No worries! I know what you mean, just messing with ya.
OP- Be sure to stick with motorcraft plugs, SP-515
Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
Any maintenance record of when the last tune up was done? Is it throwing any codes? Year?
No codes. It's an 07
I have a maintenance history but there's nothing for the tranny

Quick Reply: possible tranny issue q's