Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Possible front axel trouble... need help!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible front axel trouble... need help!

Hello,

I am active duty military stationed over seas in Germany. I have a 2006 F-150 Harley Davidson series truck which is the first year AWD was added. I am having an issue with my truck and due to high cost and the weak dollar the repairs are almost doubled here in Germany so I need anyones help to narrow down this trouble shooting.

The problem: First, my truck was in storage for a year, but before I put it in storage I had it fully serviced by Ford. When I got my truck back from storage it drove just fine for about a month (while in storage people were starting it and moving around, but only 15 miles added) and it started to make a kind of grinding sound when in first gear and as it would shift to second gear it would slam into second and then drive fine, but it really only did that when the truck had heated up (mostly would drive fine when cold), so I originally thought it was the clutch disk slipping when hot, but after a few days went by when the truck heated to normal operating temperature it would do the same thing in first gear but at this point it seemed the gears would slip and then catch again, but this time it would slip and catch again in second gear also, so I thought it might be a transmission problem, but I had the front axel drive shaft disconnected and I am now driving with only two wheel drive in the rear and the truck runs perfect and not a single problem since and I have put 500 miles on it since. Does anyone know if there is some kind of torqe converted that may cause this or if this might be a front axel problem? Any help would be welcomed and appricated.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about the awd but the 4x4 versions are notorious for having issues with the iwe solenoid. If your truck has one that may be something to look at. It's located on the firewall behind the battery. Do you a search on iwe solenoid and maybe that will help.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would pull the Transmission pan and see for myself if something was wrong with the Trans. Look at the oil/fluid... I have a 08 limited AWD and it will make a grinding pop when one wheel slips or spins(mud/snow) but just as the wheels catch up, I'm told this is normal. I think the sound is coming from the tranfer case and not the wheels.
It hasn't done in a long while on my truck but hunting season has been over for 3 months. I don't think the AWD models have the iwe solenoid, I think all 4x4 wheel functions are done in the tranfer case. I installed a leveling kit on my truck and there are no vaccum lines to the wheels, just ABS lines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible front axel trouble... need help!