Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Popping Noise While Turning After New Parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping Noise While Turning After New Parts

I have done some searching and found a lot of posts about diagnosing a popping noise but none of them pertained to newly replaced parts.

Last weekend I changed the parts listed below on my 2007 FX4. (all with Moog)
- Lower Ball Joints
- Upper Control Arms (with new ball joints and bushings)
- Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends
- Sway Bar End Links
- Sway Bar Bushings

My ball joints needed replaced and I thought while I had everything apart I would change out a few other things that had some wear. Once I got it all put back together, I noticed a popping noise while turning left at slow speeds.

Any ideas??
Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

Probably not torqued correctly?
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Make sure everything is torqued properly.
How did you tighten everything? Wheels on the ground (or simulated), or while the truck was still on jacks?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To my knowledge everything was torqued correctly but I still need to go back through and double check.

Everything was originally tightened while the truck was on jack stands. Was that a mistake?

Tonight I took the sway bar off and still had the same noise while turning so at least I have eliminated the sway bar bushings and end links.

Another thing that I forgot to mention in the original post is that I intended on changing out the lower control arm bushings but when I got the nut off, the bolt seemed to be seized to the bushing. I soaked everything with PB Blaster while doing the rest of the work and at the end of the weekend the bolts were still stuck so I just left them alone and put everything back together to go to work the next day (after an alignment of course).
Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 AM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Are your IWEs disengaging? If not, your axles are turning and it could be a CV joint issue.

Also final suspension torquing should be done with vehicle on the ground and suspension compressed, preferably with some weight in the driver's seat. Another of my vehicles specifically requires 35 lbs in the driver's seat and 25 lbs in the center rear seat.

Last edited by dukedkt442; 06-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Maybe steering shaft?
The following users liked this post:
dukedkt442 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Wood
To my knowledge everything was torqued correctly but I still need to go back through and double check.

Everything was originally tightened while the truck was on jack stands. Was that a mistake?

Tonight I took the sway bar off and still had the same noise while turning so at least I have eliminated the sway bar bushings and end links.

Another thing that I forgot to mention in the original post is that I intended on changing out the lower control arm bushings but when I got the nut off, the bolt seemed to be seized to the bushing. I soaked everything with PB Blaster while doing the rest of the work and at the end of the weekend the bolts were still stuck so I just left them alone and put everything back together to go to work the next day (after an alignment of course).
Yeah, you can destroy bushings that way. AS mentioned above, check your steering shaft (spray it with PB blaster or something, then see if popping stops).
Also as mentioned above, check IWEs as well, could be intermittent loss of vacuum
Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Check your coil springs for cracks.

Quick Reply: Popping Noise While Turning After New Parts