Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

plasti dipped rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default plasti dipped rims

for those of you who viewed my thread last night i apologize for the pics not showing up. hopefully they will show and if not i have an album for this project on my profile

this is how i did it, rinsed the wheel with a water hose. covered it in armor all wheel cleaner, i dont like it but i saved ten bucks. anyways, waited five minutes for it to soak in and rinsed it, there was alot of rust around the holes where the wheel bolts up to the rim so i scrubbed them down with brillo pads and put on some more wheel cleaner, just for an extra kick!!!

-first fresh coat of plasti dip, i used index cards to prevent the plasti dip from getting on the tire. you may notice some parts arent as dark as others. which is okay, first coat is a heavy coat and the other two are for touching up and making sure its all evenly painted.

-all three coats of PD, about to start clearcoating

-got all three coats of PD and two of clearcoat on the hubcaps, just waiting on them to dry

-peeled the first emblem off with the caps dry. i used a box cutter to cut around the border of the emblem, be careful though when taking the painters tape off the emblems. if there isnt a clean cut all the way around the PD will peel when you remove the painters tape.

-close up the morning after

-finished product

some of you may already know this, but plasti dip doesnt dry well in cold weather conditions. it took me all night till i realized this, i got an electric heater. guess u could call it a space heater, and right after i would apply a coat i would lean the tire up against the truck and have the heater facing the rim so it could help it dry (in the second picture there is a rubbermade box on the ground, i put the electric heater ontop of the box to give it good direct heat). took about 20-30 minutes to dry one coat of PD, the clearcoat pretty much dried on its own but i heated it anyway just to be safe. for about 10-15 minutes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 PM
LDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plasti dip everything looks so decent. I'm sitting on the fence whether or not I should plasti dip my stock rims or suck it up and buy my XD addicts. It's such a poor time to invest in nice wheels right now though with the salt and **** on the roads during Canadian winters. I'm even considering plasti-dipping my bumpers, but I worry the smallest knick would make it look like complete crap.

Although this is a ford forum, I saw this insane Duramax, and he guy plasti-dipped his bumpers himself, and it looks insanely good:
Attached Thumbnails plasti dipped rims-screen-shot-2012-01-16-8.34.35-pm.jpg  

Last edited by Sillygirl; 01-16-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sillygirl
Plasti dip everything looks so decent. I'm sitting on the fence whether or not I should plasti dip my stock rims or suck it up and buy my XD addicts. It's such a poor time to invest in nice wheels right now though with the salt and **** on the roads during Canadian winters. I'm even considering plasti-dipping my bumpers, but I worry the smallest knick would make it look like complete crap.

Although this is a ford forum, I saw this insane Duramax, and he guy plasti-dipped his bumpers himself, and it looks insanely good:

in just my opinion, i dont like aftermarket rims. the rockstars and addicts look good but everyone and their mom has em, i gotta be different, the only wheels i like are these rims that i have on my f250. ive never seen any other vehicle with these rims. makes it unique, those wheels and the roush wheels. but i like the stock rims on my f150, if i had the money id powdercoat them, prolly save some money over buying a new set of rims, and the bumper looks good. ive thought about doin it, im thinkin about painting one of my arrows with the plasti dip and some clearcoat and putting it on my antenna
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks good. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM

will do
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM
LDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder06
in just my opinion, i dont like aftermarket rims. the rockstars and addicts look good but everyone and their mom has em, i gotta be different, the only wheels i like are these rims that i have on my f250. ive never seen any other vehicle with these rims. makes it unique, those wheels and the roush wheels. but i like the stock rims on my f150, if i had the money id powdercoat them, prolly save some money over buying a new set of rims, and the bumper looks good. ive thought about doin it, im thinkin about painting one of my arrows with the plasti dip and some clearcoat and putting it on my antenna
That's the problem, there generally isn't any unique rims out there anymore, everything has been done, and now overdone. Even in my small town, the XD's are everywhere. At first it was specifically the Rockstars, but now I see a lot more Addicts and Monsters on the roads than ever before. They're really nice wheels, don't get me wrong, but to match the other 15 guys in my town for $900, I don't yet know if it's worth it. I could get a nice sound system, and some Bushwacker pocket flares for that. But I do prefer the offset options better on the aftermarket wheels, I'd like my rubber to stick out 3/4"-1", and stock just doesn't do that for you.
And the bumpers do look pretty good. Although my truck is navy, it already has a black grille, so I'm hoping the elimination of chrome wheels, bumpers, emblems etc. by blacking them out will tie it together better.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my stock rims powder coated this week. Love the look of stock rims. I went with a 70% gloss vs full gloss.
Attached Thumbnails plasti dipped rims-image-2766915373.jpg   plasti dipped rims-image-3547613785.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sillygirl
That's the problem, there generally isn't any unique rims out there anymore, everything has been done, and now overdone. Even in my small town, the XD's are everywhere. At first it was specifically the Rockstars, but now I see a lot more Addicts and Monsters on the roads than ever before. They're really nice wheels, don't get me wrong, but to match the other 15 guys in my town for $900, I don't yet know if it's worth it. I could get a nice sound system, and some Bushwacker pocket flares for that. But I do prefer the offset options better on the aftermarket wheels, I'd like my rubber to stick out 3/4"-1", and stock just doesn't do that for you.
And the bumpers do look pretty good. Although my truck is navy, it already has a black grille, so I'm hoping the elimination of chrome wheels, bumpers, emblems etc. by blacking them out will tie it together better.

again, in my opinion. its not worth it, when you pull into walmart and even the security golf cart has XD'S.... c'mon?!?! i did this for 20-25 dollars. and it completely changed the look of my truck, without spending a thousand bucks. have you thought about wheel spacers?

http://www.higherground4x4.com/forum...el_spacers.jpg

and for 900 dollars you could put a complete sound system in there, thats what id do instead of getting the XD'S. or the bushwackers, i like those. performance mods, intake, programmer, leveling kit
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by imphqd
I got my stock rims powder coated this week. Love the look of stock rims. I went with a 70% gloss vs full gloss.

that looks damn good! and how much did u spend, guessing 300?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks damn good! and how much did u spend, guessing 300?

Little under. I also had my chrome bumpers painted and grille surround painted. Not a big fan of chrome. I totally agree with what you are saying about everyone having the same rims. Also instead of getting one of the generic aftermarket grille I sprayed it with satin black and totally changed it.

Quick Reply: plasti dipped rims