Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PID # for "ENGINE OIL PRESSURE" from the OBDII diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:18 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Question PID # for "ENGINE OIL PRESSURE" from the OBDII diagnostics

ANYONE know the PID (Perameter ID) that gives actual Engine Oil Pressure reading on an OBDII diagnostics system of any vehicle make? I actually have a Ford truck, but since the OBD system is supposed to be a standard (although freequently not so), I can check ANY PID # via my Torque Pro app.

BACKGROUND OF THE REQUEST...

My '04 F150 5.4L 3v engine has thrown a P0022: ["A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)] code a couple of times lately. I am aware the variable valve timing system (Cam Phasers, VCT Solenoids, CPS Cam Position Sensors) is often suspect on these engines - and can produce a wide range of symptoms - often mistaken for other problems. I wanted more diagnostic information about the system for making more informed decisions.

With my Torque App's "Torque Scan" function, I developed a list of PID's (214 of them) that the ECU actually responds to. Of course, their raw data (at least initially) is pretty much hieroglyphics. I have been working to decipher these PID's - Specifically to create and add custom PID's to the Torque App for new gauges relating to the Variable Valve Timing system (VCT). So far, I have identified - developed ("??working") formulas and guages for:

PID # 16CD - "acronym RCAM" - VCT Solenoid Commanded in Crank Shaft Degrees, in (-/+) DEGREES

PID # 16CE "acronym CAMERRR" - VCT Error in Crankshaft Degrees, in (-/+) DEGREES

PID # 16CF "acronym CAMDCR" - Commanded Duty Cycle for VCT Solenoid, in (0-100) %

These three (3) new gauges give meaningful information that points directly to a possible cause of the P0020 code..... However, during repeated drive cycle tests, after 30-40 miles ALL 3 gauges abruptly go to ZERO, and stay there the remainder of "that" drive cycle!

On further research I have discovered another related PID:

PID # 16B1 Bit 6 "acronym" VCTA - VCT Control Circuit Monitor ON/OFF
. Bit 5 "acronym" VCTENA Conditions Correct to Enable VCT YES/NO

I am now working on a Custom PID and an "On/Off" type gauge for the Torque App that will display on/off status of these two perameters to determine if "THIS" could explain the gauges suddenly going to ZERO after driving for a while. The truck starts, idles, drives fine - though I "THINK" its pep / responsiveness suffers after the three gauges go to ZERO (indicating NO MORE Advance or Retard or VTS duty cycle.)

OIL PRESSURE comes to mind as a possible cause. As the oil thins out from heat, the ECU may sense VCT Error is out of spec and decide to "shut down" the variable valve timing system and default to ZERO VTC adjustment. BUT WHAT IS THE PID # FOR TRUE "ENGINE OIL PRESSURE"?

I cannot believe it does not exist, as important as oil pressure is to proper operation and longevity of the engine.

ANY INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED - AND GLADLY SHARED

Last edited by F150Torqued; 04-06-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Removed GM DTC codes (0520 - 0522) I thought were PIDs
Old 04-04-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts

The oil pressure gauge on our trucks are dummy gauges add long as you have 7 psi the gauge will look normal I just installed an aftermarket gauge because of this.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM
LightningRod

Thumbs up ENGINE OIL PRESSURE is unimportant to Ford!!!

@08silverbullet

Thank you for the informative response. I have searched pretty exhaustively for one (either published or unpublished) for the Ford 5.4L. OIL PRESSURE is so highly important for proper operation of the VVT system(s), and with all the emphasis on mileage & emissions (both beneficiaries of VVT systems), it doesn’t make sense at all.

With over 200 responding PID’s (many that I don’t know what are yet!) – I keep thinking/hoping there would be one hidden in there somewhere, if only intended for the proprietary OEM shops diagnostics machines, hence my metaphoric title on this post.

Two bit oriented flags that I've sorted out on PID # 16B1 (bit 5 and bit 6) are periodically set on my vehicle – and the VCT operation is disabled. It seems that one condition the ECU would need to set those flags (although certainly not the only one) would be EOP.

Besides that, it borders on negligent misrepresentation to take a mechanical switch closure (oil pressure SWITCH) designed to switch between 5-7 psi, and display the closed condition as mid-range on an analogue gauge on the instrument cluster marked “L” | “H”. Especially when it requires apparently 20 psi or so reliably operate the VVT system.
Thanks again for the response. If I ever uncover any info, I will post it here.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 04-07-2015 at 11:01 AM.
NHRusted (06-09-2018)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The scanguage II had a pdf (xgauge) codes that had some of the vendor codes. You can get it from their site.

Also found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Nothing though for oil pressure and Ford.
F150Torqued (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:02 PM
LightningRod

Thanks @Bucko. I visited and searched around on the suggested site and found a Ford Specific list of commands. See: http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-g...cific-xgauges/

The PID numbers are in the TXD Command information of EACH table. --- I have matched many up with the codes I've developed from various sources for my F150. The LAST two Bytes (the last four HEX characters) of each TXD field is the Parameter ID. (eg: the ScanGuage is sending its command to ID # (hex) 1674 to request Transmission Fluid Temperature.

I've seen the Wikipedia page link - and it also has lots of good information - BUT, as you point out, nothing for OIL PRESSURE. Thanks for your help. I'm still digging - if anyone has additional input. Cheers --- until then, I'll be monitoring every PID that responds to my Torque app Scan trying to figure out WHAT it's response means.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 04-08-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 AM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

There is only a switch, no transducer.

Quick Reply: PID # for "ENGINE OIL PRESSURE" from the OBDII diagnostics