Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PATS Symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Default PATS Symptoms

Im hearing a buzzing, clicking type sound coming from my dash in the area of the red light when i turn key to on position and does it again when I turn key off. Is this normal. The light itself is'nt acting abnormal but Im just wondering. Reason Im asking is that I"ve had a warm start issue that I cannot seem to resolve. New battery, starter and a host of other newer parts. I also have an aftermarket remote start that came with the truck and on a few occassions it has ghost started on me and a couple of times when I"ve had the battery disc and when I recconect the neg terminal it has started on me. scares the crap out of me. Im just trying to hit any and every angle with anything that has to do with starting my truck. It starts perfect every morning but once warmed up and sitting it cranks weird, not a long crank but kind of the opposite, quick and hardly any crank time and kind of weak sounding but starts and runs fine immediately. It will crank and start normal after this initial issue but will do it again if it sits for a while. I also have an aftermaket radio that came with the truck if that means anything
Old 10-22-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd begin with your remote start issue. It should not be starting with the hood up, so it was improperly installed to begin with. That's dangerous. I don't see the PATS light as having any bearing on the issue. Perhaps see if you can trace the remote start wiring. Poor connection, short etc.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by BCBob
I'd begin with your remote start issue. It should not be starting with the hood up, so it was improperly installed to begin with. That's dangerous. I don't see the PATS light as having any bearing on the issue. Perhaps see if you can trace the remote start wiring. Poor connection, short etc.
PATS would have a bearing, as it either had to be bypassed, or overrode in the starting of the truck. The transceiver located by the ignition switch must detect the transceiver in the key in order for the truck to start. Depending on the remote start kit, this is somehow bypassed, or folks have to tape a key under the steering column cover.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BCBob
I do know that there is no shut off or safety pin under the hood. This "valet" brand may not have come with one or improper install but I"ll have to agree with Bucko about the pats having to be bypassed. I looked at the wiring a while back. Just a spaghetti mess that I did'nt want to touch. I may have to go to a pro
Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
PATS would have a bearing, as it either had to be bypassed, or overrode in the starting of the truck. The transceiver located by the ignition switch must detect the transceiver in the key in order for the truck to start. Depending on the remote start kit, this is somehow bypassed, or folks have to tape a key under the steering column cover.
I agree with PATS having to be bypassed. I have never had any problems starting the truck with the remote which I barely use. At one point I thought of dicconnecting it but it was a mess of wires and I did'nt want to touch it. So, is the dash buzzing sound normal to anything on this truck? Its almost like something is powering up and then down when I turn the key off. Something tells me that the pats has nothing to do with my warm start issue. Its driving me absolutely mad. Thanks
Old 10-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy J
Im hearing a buzzing, clicking type sound coming from my dash in the area of the red light when i turn key to on position and does it again when I turn key off. Is this normal. The light itself is'nt acting abnormal but Im just wondering. Reason Im asking is that I"ve had a warm start issue that I cannot seem to resolve. New battery, starter and a host of other newer parts. I also have an aftermarket remote start that came with the truck and on a few occassions it has ghost started on me and a couple of times when I"ve had the battery disc and when I recconect the neg terminal it has started on me. scares the crap out of me. Im just trying to hit any and every angle with anything that has to do with starting my truck. It starts perfect every morning but once warmed up and sitting it cranks weird, not a long crank but kind of the opposite, quick and hardly any crank time and kind of weak sounding but starts and runs fine immediately. It will crank and start normal after this initial issue but will do it again if it sits for a while. I also have an aftermaket radio that came with the truck if that means anything
I figured out what the sound was. Its my gauges,specifically my battery gauge. It climbs and corresponds with the sound in perfect sync and then when I turn key off it repeats. Don't know if its normal or not but Im not as worried. Thanks all

Quick Reply: PATS Symptoms