Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parking Break Wire & Backup Camera Wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Parking Break Wire & Backup Camera Wires

I'm installing my Kenwood DNX6190HD today, and am wanting to be able to watch DVD's without having to be in park. I've read somewhere that I can ground the parking break wire somewhere and that will work? Is this true and where can I ground it at?

Also, I'm installing the backup camera today as well. I'd like for it to come on as soon as I put the truck in reverse, but I'd also like to be able to view the camera any time I'd like. Does anyone know how I can do this as well?

I just posted a tutorial on installing components, and if someone can help me out with these 2 issues, I'll take some pics of the process as well. Seems like common issues like this should be in a "Sticky" somewhere, instead of having to search through the millions of threads on this site.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by FL0rida CrAcK3r
I'm installing my Kenwood DNX6190HD today, and am wanting to be able to watch DVD's without having to be in park. I've read somewhere that I can ground the parking break wire somewhere and that will work? Is this true and where can I ground it at?

Also, I'm installing the backup camera today as well. I'd like for it to come on as soon as I put the truck in reverse, but I'd also like to be able to view the camera any time I'd like. Does anyone know how I can do this as well?

I just posted a tutorial on installing components, and if someone can help me out with these 2 issues, I'll take some pics of the process as well. Seems like common issues like this should be in a "Sticky" somewhere, instead of having to search through the millions of threads on this site.

Thanks
Did you figure out the answers to your questions? I am looking at this head unit as well as a Pioneer one and am wondering if you can make the rear view camera work whenever you want. Let us know what ya did. Thanks bud.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed the pioneer avh-p2400bt. Anyway, on alot of the new stereos you can no longer simply ground out the parking brake wire. It needs a 12v signal AFTER the stereo is turned on. What I did was buy a relay from kragen, run the acc wire to one of the terminals, ground to two, and the parking brake lead off the head unit to another. (look on youtube for pinout) and it works like a charm!

I havent done the camera yet, but my head unit has a reverse signal wire which I assume turns the camera on automatically when in reverse.....and I know I can go into the menu to view it any other time.
The following users liked this post:
06F150CFCT (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by M&D
I just installed the pioneer avh-p2400bt. Anyway, on alot of the new stereos you can no longer simply ground out the parking brake wire. It needs a 12v signal AFTER the stereo is turned on. What I did was buy a relay from kragen, run the acc wire to one of the terminals, ground to two, and the parking brake lead off the head unit to another. (look on youtube for pinout) and it works like a charm!
If you're lazy like me, you can pick up the bypass off ebay for $10:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Park...item231958926a

Originally Posted by M&D
I havent done the camera yet, but my head unit has a reverse signal wire which I assume turns the camera on automatically when in reverse.....and I know I can go into the menu to view it any other time.
The reverse signal to the HU puts the HU in camera mode automatically when it senses you are in reverse. Power to the camera is run separately.

I ran power to my camera from the reverse bulb in the tail light. The camera I bought has an additional wire that runs with the video cable that is hot when the camera is on, which is what I wired to the HU reverse signal. Using my method the camera is only on when in reverse.

I did mine this way because 1) it was easier and 2) I'd read some reviews of constant 12v power overheating cheap cameras.

If you're not worried about the camera overheating, you could run constant power from the trailer wiring harness and reverse signal from the drivers side kick panel. Or you could run a switch which turns the camera on on-demand, but this gets a little tricky if you also want the camera to come on automatically when you're in reverse.
06F150CFCT (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flash!
If you're lazy like me, you can pick up the bypass off ebay for $10:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Park...item231958926a
Good call on that...I'm going to get one of those too.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Also, since you guys are dead on answering questions I have two more...

I am pretty sure I am getting the Kenwood DNX6190HD over the Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH...anyways heres the questions:

-I noticed Flash, you said in another thread awhile ago that you had to do some trimming on the Metra install kit...Would the Scosche one be better maybe? I see on the Amazon reviews people say the Metra is better and the Scosche one doesnt fit as some radios are too big.

-I also see there are 2-3 vehicle specific speaker wiring harnesses but the end connectors look to be different yet all say for Ford vehicles 03+...Is there a difference? Heres the site I was looking at:
http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/shopby?vehicle=1

Thanks fellas...and I know this isnt really on topic with Floridas first post. I apologize.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the kenwood receiver in order to watch movies all you have to do is plug in the reverse wire with the ground wire in wiring harness. You don't need any bypass modules like the pioneer receiver.
06F150CFCT (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeezy29
For the kenwood receiver in order to watch movies all you have to do is plug in the reverse wire with the ground wire in wiring harness. You don't need any bypass modules like the pioneer receiver.
Thanks for the input..I saw your response and checked out the Kenwood forums and they said every Kenwood unit all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire. Saved 10 bucks. haha. Glad I saw your post before buying.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
Thanks for the input..I saw your response and checked out the Kenwood forums and they said every Kenwood unit all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire. Saved 10 bucks. haha. Glad I saw your post before buying.
Hey man, definitely go with the Kenwood DNX6190HD. I couldn't imagine a better receiver. It works flawlessly and am extremely happy I went with it. I used the Metra dash kit, and the Metra wiring harness and they both worked perfectly. The only thing with the plastic dash kit is, the instructions tell you to use the "tabs" on the kit, but don't use them. They will make it not sit flush. But that was pretty easy to figure out. As for the parking break wire, I just went and got a relay and used it, but I probably could have just grounded the wire, but the relay works just fine and I can watch movies without having to be in park. Also, go to amazon and get at least a 16gb Kingston thumb drive. I paid $10 for a 16gb, but am going to have to get the 32gb. I've got nothing but music videos on my USB drive, and it's pretty neat to have the video playing with the audio. Definitely a BA cd player.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by FL0rida CrAcK3r

Hey man, definitely go with the Kenwood DNX6190HD. I couldn't imagine a better receiver. It works flawlessly and am extremely happy I went with it. I used the Metra dash kit, and the Metra wiring harness and they both worked perfectly. The only thing with the plastic dash kit is, the instructions tell you to use the "tabs" on the kit, but don't use them. They will make it not sit flush. But that was pretty easy to figure out. As for the parking break wire, I just went and got a relay and used it, but I probably could have just grounded the wire, but the relay works just fine and I can watch movies without having to be in park. Also, go to amazon and get at least a 16gb Kingston thumb drive. I paid $10 for a 16gb, but am going to have to get the 32gb. I've got nothing but music videos on my USB drive, and it's pretty neat to have the video playing with the audio. Definitely a BA cd player.
Awesome...thanks man. I have an external hardrive that i store all my music on and it is a USB so hopefully that will work? If not i will definitely pick one up like you said. I also have a Zune not an Ipod so I didnt get the cable but hopefully i can still use it. It has a USB cord that you use to hook up to the computer to transfer the songs to it so that might work. If not its okay since Ill have the music on there anyways. I also picked up the remote for the Kenwood as I think it will be useful to have. Cant wait for it to come in!!

Quick Reply: Parking Break Wire & Backup Camera Wires