Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Painting front and rear chrome bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting front and rear chrome bumpers

Has anyone tried painting their front and/or rear bumper to match ?? I went to a paint shop today and they didn't want to mess with it unless I prepared the parts, how do you prepare chrome metal parts for painting?? He said something like $400 just to prime and paint it, I would have to have it all chrome cleaned up. Dude also was trying to make me buy a new front and rear bumper that wasn't chrome and easier to paint. I FUC*!NG HATE CHROMED PARTS
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy
Has anyone tried painting their front and/or rear bumper to match ?? I went to a paint shop today and they didn't want to mess with it unless I prepared the parts, how do you prepare chrome metal parts for painting?? He said something like $400 just to prime and paint it, I would have to have it all chrome cleaned up. Dude also was trying to make me buy a new front and rear bumper that wasn't chrome and easier to paint. I FUC*!NG HATE CHROMED PARTS
$400? Thats a raping.. especially if they are not doing any prep work! Do some more searching.. Maybe try doing a swap with someone who wants chrome bumpers? Won't matter what color you get if you plan on painting.. just my two cents..
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Offshore Poster

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chrome is a bitch to deal with. When I painted my chrome running boards, I used a 7" grinder with a wire brush and went to town on them. They looked brushed when I was ready for primer. I'd say that's your best bet.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Offshore Poster

Was that $400 for both bumpers, primered, painted, cleared, color sanded?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Krazy
I FUC*!NG HATE CHROMED PARTS
I feel your pain and have been dealing with this same issue for months. I was going to Line-x the bumpers but I was quoated about $600 for them to take the bumpers off and do everything plus they wouldn't do white because it tends to yellow after time and I didn't want to do the black.

I checked on powder coating and was told to take the bumpers in to have them sandblasted then they could powder coat them. That was going to run about $300 for everything.

I haven't done anything yet cause this is a pain in the to deal with.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Offshore Poster

I think Line-Xed bumpers in black would like sick on your white truck seems you have the black Monsters.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM

If I have it sandblasted, will it be paintable ??
Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Offshore Poster

Yes, it will. A light sandblasting will etch the surface enough for paint. If it's sandblasted long enough with enough abrassivenes, the chrome plating will be removed completely
Old 11-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TunaSlayer
Yes, it will. A light sandblasting will etch the surface enough for paint. If it's sandblasted long enough with enough abrassivenes, the chrome plating will be removed completely
I called a guy in town he said he'll charge me around $60 to sandblast the bumpers.
I really don't want to sand these two bumpers by hand, I just finished removing tint from my taillights and it was a pain in the ***.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

I know what you mean. They look nice but suck to keep that way. Mine is beige with chrome wheels and bumpers and I would love to have the beige bumpers off of a lariat. Perhaps some day when I can save enough $ I can get different wheels too. I think $400 is a little high if they are not prepping them. If they are doing everything for you then $400 is more than fair in my opinion. Good paint work is like good tattoo work, it ain't cheap.

Quick Reply: Painting front and rear chrome bumpers