Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Painting chrome bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting chrome bumpers?

My F150 is an 07 XLT. It's green with the tan two tone and chrome bumpers. I think it would look better if the bumpers were PTM to the tan that's on the bottom of the doors... And also if it had PTM fender trim, so it looks like a Lariat or King Ranch.

I came across threads about people plastidipping their bumpers, but not many threads about painting chrome bumpers. I understand that painting chrome isn't easy... But I was wondering if it was a better idea to buy a primed bumper then paint it or get a professional to prep and paint the chrome one correctly.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have an 08 Lariat with chrome billet grille, bumpers, mirror caps and door handles(with black housing around them), I really want to PTM my handles and mirror caps and 2 shops (that have been in business 30+ years) REFUSE to even try to prep/paint the mirrors/handles because it is so difficult to do. They have recommended I get smooth/stock handles and mirrors. Definitely not what I wanted to hear and sounds like it's too much trouble/money to even pursue, even though I really want it done.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by RowdyAggie
I have an 08 Lariat with chrome billet grille, bumpers, mirror caps and door handles(with black housing around them), I really want to PTM my handles and mirror caps and 2 shops (that have been in business 30+ years) REFUSE to even try to prep/paint the mirrors/handles because it is so difficult to do. They have recommended I get smooth/stock handles and mirrors. Definitely not what I wanted to hear and sounds like it's too much trouble/money to even pursue, even though I really want it done.
I saw another thread about PTM their door handles. What he did was buy Chrome door handle covers... You know those plastic-y chrome ones that are smooth... And he prepped and painted that and put it on the handles. It looked pretty good. Also, I think they won't paint your handles and mirrors because it's textured plastic. But I think it's possible to paint the chrome as long as it'a sanded almost to the metal and has really good primer..?
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Eh, I think it can be done... But they can't guarantee their work. And it's not textured plastic (I think the housing BEHIND the handles and the bottom of the mirrors are, and they could do that), but not the actual chrome caps and handles.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by RowdyAggie
Eh, I think it can be done... But they can't guarantee their work. And it's not textured plastic (I think the housing BEHIND the handles and the bottom of the mirrors are, and they could do that), but not the actual chrome caps and handles.
Oh... I misinterpreted your post. And btw, I'm an aggie fan too. Whoop!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Yeah buddy... Best 6 years of my life.. Lol!!!!! Whoop!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

you can paint any plastic, they are just lazy. clean it good with some plastic cleaner and adhesion promotor. high build prime it to remove the texture then paint it. as for the chrome, ive heard of acid etching them, sanding them with 80 then 180 and priming them, hell even stripping the chrome. only problem with the front is, if it gets a rock chip, there is a possibility of chipping then just keep going. its all in the prep really since the chrome is electroplated, if you can get the paint to stick it will be fine
Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 PM

Right, they couldn't guarantee it would stick or last long.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regarding the bumpers......

I have a buddy who had his color matched using colored bed-liner, has been holding up well.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Paint Your Chrome Bumpers and Accent Pieces With Plasti Dip. I Painted My Whole Truck With Plasti Dip

Front and Side

Front

Side

Side and Rear

Quick Reply: Painting chrome bumpers?