Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

PA CB setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:00 PM
What base model?

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PA CB setup

I just bought the Cobra 19 Ultra III from Walmart so I could setup a PA system in my truck. I've browsed through the other threads about this but am still confused on what else I'll need besides the CB and speaker. I'm also confused on how to wire everything.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:12 PM
NCgraywolf

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CB antenna too. Walmart or Radio Shack. You can get a glass mount type or one to hard mount on metal. I would not want to put one on the roof. Remember you will need to remove the metal rod to go through a car wash. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:34 PM
What base model?

The power cord that came with the Cobra is not long enough to reach my battery. Anyone know where I can get some longer power cord? I've tried Best Buy and Radio Shack with no luck
Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Walmart and RS didn't have wire?

Home Depot, Lowes...
Old 09-29-2015, 11:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same radio. I spliced the power cable into the cigarette lighter wires under the radio. I mounted 2 antennas on my rear bumper and ran the coax under the truck along the frame and through a grommet on the driver side floor and up to the dash. PA is mounted in front of my radiator and the cable is just ran through the firewall to the radio.
Attached Thumbnails PA CB setup-20150902_115829.jpg   PA CB setup-20150902_115806.jpg   PA CB setup-20150902_115820.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If all you want from the CB radio is the PA system, then you do not need a CB antenna or mount. Simply keep the switch in the "PA" position.

All it needs is power and ground. Black wire to any good ground location: many metal brackets with bolts behind the dash area. As to power, I assume you want the PA to work without the truck running, so a "hot" battery lead such as the accessory plug (a.k.a. cigarette lighter) is a good one.

You could look on the internet for a plug that you could wire the CB radio's ground and power lead to so that the CB radio simply plugs into the accessory plug; then you could remove it at will, as the speaker will have a jack type connector that plugs into the CB radio unit. This way, it's all portable, and easily removed when not in use (theft prevention).
Old 09-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyMobile
The power cord that came with the Cobra is not long enough to reach my battery. Anyone know where I can get some longer power cord? I've tried Best Buy and Radio Shack with no luck
Originally Posted by Bucko
If all you want from the CB radio is the PA system, then you do not need a CB antenna or mount. Simply keep the switch in the "PA" position.

All it needs is power and ground. Black wire to any good ground location: many metal brackets with bolts behind the dash area. As to power, I assume you want the PA to work without the truck running, so a "hot" battery lead such as the accessory plug (a.k.a. cigarette lighter) is a good one.

You could look on the internet for a plug that you could wire the CB radio's ground and power lead to so that the CB radio simply plugs into the accessory plug; then you could remove it at will, as the speaker will have a jack type connector that plugs into the CB radio unit. This way, it's all portable, and easily removed when not in use (theft prevention).
You beat me to it.

The cord is not long enough because no one wires directly to the battery.

You need to either add a fuse in the line and use a powered source or use a source that is already fused, as done in a previous post using the lighter. A CB draws very little power so borrowing from another source should not be an issue in most cases.

Personally I prefer to go to the fuse block and find an unused but powered spot and tap in there using a blade connector and put a fuse inline.

The area I bolded above is also a great idea if you want it removable or somewhat portable.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
What base model?

Last night I ordered a PA horn, an RCA cable with stripped ends on one side, and this...

I figured I could cut off the side with the three prong connector and splice it to the power cord coming off the CB. Would this work?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyMobile
Last night I ordered a PA horn, an RCA cable with stripped ends on one side, and this...

I figured I could cut off the side with the three prong connector and splice it to the power cord coming off the CB. Would this work?
Yes
Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM
What base model?

Fixed

Last edited by TexasF150; 10-02-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: PA CB setup