Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0196 oil temp sensor

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P0196 oil temp sensor

After having my F150 for about 2 weeks, I got a P0196 oil temp sensor code. I found out there's a sensor on the oil pan, or so I thought. When I went to check on the sensor, I found out that the sensor, and wire were swinging in space, and there was no place in the oil pan for a sensor. I probably would have noticed this earlier if it weren't for the skid pan on the FX4. Upon checking the sticker on the valve cover, I discovered that the motor was a 2008 5.4. Everything works great, and I love the truck, except that once or twice a month I get the P0196 code, and I have to reset it. My question is , is there a way to fool the sensor into thinking that everything is OK. Or can I maybe just unplug the sensor, and keep the code off. the truck runs fine with the light on, just bugs me to see it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by 05-FX4-Lariat

My question is , is there a way to fool the sensor into thinking that everything is OK. Or can I maybe just unplug the sensor, and keep the code off. the truck runs fine with the light on, just bugs me to see it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve

I sure wouldn't. The PCM isn't monitoring OIL temp just to be funny. There are all types of things that may noticeably effect performance down the road if left off.

Are you saying there is NO fitting on the side of the Oil pan where the Oil Temp Sensor mounts? I would be for finding out how that happened. Does it have the right oil pan on it?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't think the 08s had oil temp sensors in the pan. So, is the sensor part of the 05's original harness? I'm guessing 05s had the sensor in the pan?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:16 PM

F150torqued.
The motor is a 2008 5.4built on 04-24-2008. My understanding is there is no oil temp sensor mounted on the oil pan on a 2008 5.4, which mulestang also mentioned in his post.
Your are right, the po196 code affects the cam timing on a 2005 5.4.
The sensor was left hanging in the open air. The previous owner. Who I know, never had the code, and he owned the truck for 5 years. The only reason he sold it, was his current employer got him a 2017 f150 crew cab company truck. The motor that is in the truck, is the motor that was in the truck when he purchased it 5 years ago. he just drove it and kept it well maintained. If I had not gotten the code, I wouldn't have known about the motor change, as there's a skid plate on the truck, so you can't see the sensor, unless you go looking.

mulestang
Yes the sensor is part of the original 2005 wiring on the truck.

I would just replace the sensor, if I knew that was the problem; but I don't want to replace it if not needed, as the sensor is $53.00.

Thanks for your input. It is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, I guess you could find an ‘05 oil pan and install it to accommodate the sensor, or tap your current pan and install it.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
LightningRod

@Mulestang's suggestion is best. I would not suggest spending any money for a new sensor based on the reported problem "P0196 FORD - Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Fault". Certainly with it hanging out in the open air - the PCM probably does see its performance as lacking when it should be reading a temperature somewhere between coolant temperature and cylinder head temperature.

One thing striking that occurs to me. "IF" a 2008 doesn't have an oil temperature sensor - and a 2005 does (Like my '04). I've spent considerable time researching sensors & engine parameters available on my Torque Pro app from OBDII. This points up the problem I run into frequently trying to figure out why there are many OBDII engine parameters that EITHER "DO" or "DON'T" work on a particular vehicle.

One would expect an '04, '05 and '08 of the same manufacturer and model to be the same. It might even be surprising the '08 will run correctly with the PCM from an '05.

An inexpensive 'red-neck' cure might be - "Just wire a beer can full of motor oil to the exhaust or something under there that gets HOT, and drop the sensor into it. LOL
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default I would put the correct oil pan for an 05

Or obtain the fitting and step drill the pan ,sounds like a junk yard project to me . Do it right and be done with it . Should be some bad engines out there for sure .
Old 10-20-2017, 08:58 PM

After finding the sensor, I used my older son's actual scanner (not an OBD2), and got a 2900 vin mismatch code( the code doesn't show up with an OBD2), and it won't affect the yearly inspection.
My younger son said why don't you clean the side of the oil pan with lacquer thinner, and gorilla tape the sensor to the side of the pan to catch some of the heat from the pan(Similar to your suggestion F150Torqued).
Tomorrow, I'm going with a friend to pull a 4spd tranny for his 61 apache pickup, and I know there's some 5.4s there with the sensor in them. So I'm going to pull one. They'll only charge me 5 bucks for it.
What baffles me is that the whole time my friend owned the truck, he never had the code show up. And I own the truck for 3 weeks, and I get the code.
So tomorrow, I'll get the sensor, and install it, and keep ya posted. Of course sometimes the code doesn't show up for 300 or more miles, and sometimes it'll show after 30 miles. Sorta like a wife. Completely unpredictable, even after more than 40 years together.

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.

Steve
Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 PM
LightningRod

Originally Posted by 05-FX4-Lariat

My younger son said why don't you clean the side of the oil pan with lacquer thinner, and gorilla tape the sensor to the side of the pan to catch some of the heat from the pan ......

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.

Steve

No doubt the $5.00 junk yard oil pan is the best option. But your son is on his way to becoming a card carrying red-neck. I'm still partial to the beer can idea though. LOL

On a more serious note: I've been busy sorting out the OBDII system's "Emission Readiness" _stuff_ involved in passing emissions tests. Gas Cap Off, EVAP System, Inferred Mass Air Monitor [ie Exhaust Gas Circulation], and on and on. (Some States are heading toward checking OBDII status for State inspections. There is (on our trucks) a flag indicating about seven (7) conditions that have to pass for the system to satisfy and 'SET' the "Emissions Readiness" Indication. One is known as the "Comprehensive Components Monitor". I know IT runs tests on at least Break pedal switch, Transmission Lever switch, Trans solenoids, Engine Coolant Temperature - among other things. I'm just about positive - there would be _some_ subtle negative effect _somewhere_ in the ECU operation if you tried to just defeat the Oil Temp sensor (IF the ECU expected it to be installed).
Old 10-20-2017, 11:20 PM

Not the oil pan, just the sensor to swap with the one already in my truck. The truck passed all emission tests needed for inspection, here in New York. 3 weeks later P0196 code
But if changing the oil pan becomes the solution, my older son runs his own shop, and my younger son is a certified master technician for Lexus, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo. I'm 70, so I see no reason for me to get too involved when I've got 2 sons doing it for a living. Even though I've been building cars, bikes, snowmobiles, go karts, and now boats since I was 14, it's much nicer to watch them fix whatever's needed( especially in the Winter when things are wet and snow is dripping), while I have a cup of coffee, or better yet a beer. I actually still do get involved, just cause it gives me a chance to do things with my boys.
I'll keep ya posted on the progress.

Search this Thread