Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Overheating 2008 5.4

Old 06-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating 2008 5.4

Newbie here with yet another thread about overheating issues. I've read several of the other posts and still seek some of the great advice on here.

Here's the history/situation:

2008 SuperCrew with 155k miles

A year ago, on a long trip, the truck was parked but running and a/c turned on in 100+ degree heat. After an hour the a/c started to blow hot air. Once I started driving the temp gauge went back down and we finished the trip with no further issue. Coolant level was good and the air temp went way down after that day.

A couple months later, while towing in hot conditions, got a flat tire. Ran the truck and a/c while changing the flat. Almost soon as I started driving, the gauge pinned again and warning indicator went on. Pulled over, shut it off and waited 20 minutes or so. Topped off coolant which was not too low but at the bottom of the range. The truck started and the gauge reset. I nursed it the rest of the trip, using a/c sparingly and had no more overheating issues.

I flushed the radiator and replaced the thermostat.

But, ever since the gauge will show overheating while all or most of these conditions exist:
1. It's a warm day (80 degrees)
2. Driving in stop and go traffic. Usually at idle.
3. Towing or loaded heavily.

Last week It happened again while running the a/c. The a/c started blowing hot air.

After reading some of the posts on here, I decided to replace the water pump. The old one looked fine but I replaced it anyway.

BUT, I finally noticed that the wire pigtail to the fan clutch is missing. Must have gotten caught in the fan and been ripped out. Here's a dumb question: if the fan clutch isn't working, doesn't that mean that the fan runs continuously? It definitely runs every time I start the truck.

What to try next?
Radiator power wash or replace?
New fan clutch (can't find the pigtail sold separately) or spend the money on an electric fan?
Temp sensor?
Something else?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd suggest you replace fan clutch. Should take care of you problem... when parked idling for a while, your truck isn't pulling much air through the radiator if your fan clutch is going bad. As for pig tail, either your local dealership or junkyard diving.

Had to edit my original post... Didn't realize the 08's had electric clutches. Mine's an 05 so it's controlled on its own.

Last edited by nrivera04; 06-25-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fan runs continually but only in low speed ! High speed is control by pcm! You need a fan clutch
Old 06-25-2017, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Makes sense. I didn't realize that the fan has different speeds.

Do o you think I should consider spending the clutch money on an aftermarket electronic fan?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:41 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I haven't gone to efans because of cost and reliability

If I did do it it would be the dual ford fans with painless controllers . I actually would put a controller on each fan . That gets expensive .I can't deal with a single failure overheating my head gaskets . I would have a manual bypass to bring fans on .
Why ,I live in a hot climate FL and I tow and almost always run ac . So the fans would be on most of the time . It would give me better access to the belt and pulleys . I would not want to hook up to the ac clutch signal , I would want it on anytime ac on . I would also add a water sensor in radiator hose not some probe poked thru fins .
So its north of $600 so I can't see my way into doing it . Those cheap aftermarkets -no way . I'm not going to blow my head gaskets for that .
If your clutch wire missing I would guess you are just dealing with a free spinning fan no real cooling . Running an idled car with ac for very long is not good anyway . The electric signal brings the fan on your's is not on .
Old 06-25-2017, 08:50 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default If you can't find pigtail connectors splice it directly no fancy disconnect

Or find any connector set and crimp it in . You are risking your engine .
Also change your coolant tank cap ,the originals have a weak spring and lose pressure they are like 6 bucks at advance . The pressure keeps it from boiling too soon .
Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 PM

Got it. Thanks redfishtd, nrivera and Gris.

I ordered a new clutch that includes the wiring pigtail.

It would be much cheaper to crimp the wires in but I would have to guess at the connections. There are 4.

I'll have to figure something out to keep the wires from being destroyed by the fan again.

Really appreciate your help
Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 AM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

While you're at it, drop another $5.99 on a new pressure cap got the coolant reservoir. Stock caps fail way too often.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:06 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

What kind of anti freeze you using and what's the mixture ?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Overheating

I have an 07 with the clutch fan there is no way my fan pigtail could get caught. I don't know about the 08s but my pigtail plugs into a connector on both ends and fan end is held tightly in a bracket.

Search this Thread