Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Overhead Rails

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead Rails

I recently bought an '05 FX4 and have a couple of questions about the overhead rail system.

First, is there anyone who makes aftermarket accessories for it? Anyone know a good source for used compartments? Seems all of the threads I can find are outdated.

Second, when I remove my lone compartment, there's a rectangular hole (see pic) in the headliner above it. Seems there's also a wiring harness inside. Is this for a DVD system? If so, is there anyone still making one?

Has anyone figured out anything else to do with the harness? Any mods to put a permanent NAV system or phone dock, etc?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been wondering the same things, I have the rail system right now and the sunglasses compartment on it. I do believe that the harness is for the DVD option.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

How hard is it to remove the rails? Has anyone done it? Also, any idea how strong they are? What kind of weight limit do you think they have? I'm thinking maybe use mine as an amp rack.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM

I'm curious if anyone knows the makeup of the wiring harness. Does it have power and aux audio?

Would be nice to wire up a bluetooth hands-free kit or something there if it could easily be integrated into the system.

I also thought about mouting a rechargeable flashlight (maglite type of thing) overhead if there's power there. I know there was a kit with 2 small flashlights sold as an add-on compartment at one time...

I guess a NAV screen there wouldn't be very safe as you'd have to turn to the side to view it. But my 3 year old would love a DVD player...
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My Lariat is the same way. You were dead on, the hole is for the DVD player. As for the wiring harness I am not sure, I have never really paid that much attention to it, but I guess I will now.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM

I tried to take a pic of it with my phone so I could see it, but that didn't work well. It seems glued or strapped down. But my harness is about an inch forward from the cutout and I'm afraid to break or cut it loose without knowing what it is/how it was meant to work.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you waste your time looking into it further I can tell you that the DVD player designed to fit there is really sh*tty. The screen is tiny and they are overpriced. I would go aftermarket if it was me. Not to mention the units themselves are rather bulky. I have looked for a gun rack that's compatible with the rail system before but have had no luck. In my opinion they are actually pretty useless. The back of mine keeps coming loose and makes a loud squeking sound.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM

Does anyone have access to a wiring schematic for the harness?

I found this website, that actually sells the original ford stuff, or at least the same part nos. I dunno if they are remans or new old stock.

TASCA
Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM

I agree that the DVD player from the 2004 era wouldn't be very acceptable... but would the wiring harness that's in there work for an aftermarket DVD player hookup? Is it just power and ground, or is it actually connected to the AUX input of the stereo?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ibd12c
I agree that the DVD player from the 2004 era wouldn't be very acceptable... but would the wiring harness that's in there work for an aftermarket DVD player hookup? Is it just power and ground, or is it actually connected to the AUX input of the stereo?
It would if the truck actually came with the DVD player factory (or dealer) installed. But, just because the harness is there doesn't mean your stereo actually has the aux input.

Quick Reply: Overhead Rails