Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Opinions on my XLT please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions on my XLT please

2004 Super Crew. I bought the truck months ago and I love it! It already had a 3" B/L installed by the previous owner. It also has the 18" Pro Comp 6001 wheels that were chrome but in bad shape so I plasti dipped them. I also plasti dipped the nerf bars and both bumpers.....but after a week, I didn't like it so I peeled it off.

I'm really considering removing the body lift and buy a 2.5" budget lift. Then I would like to find a set of the factory 18" F-150 wheels and run some BFG AT's.

Question 1: What kind of $$$ can I get outta my wheels/tires? (Toyo Open Country 325/65/18's---->half tread)

Question 2: What kind of time frame would I be looking at to remove the body lift? I have all the factory hardware but no air tools.

Question 3: Leave it alone?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie
2004 Super Crew. I bought the truck months ago and I love it! It already had a 3" B/L installed by the previous owner. It also has the 18" Pro Comp 6001 wheels that were chrome but in bad shape so I plasti dipped them. I also plasti dipped the nerf bars and both bumpers.....but after a week, I didn't like it so I peeled it off.

I'm really considering removing the body lift and buy a 2.5" budget lift. Then I would like to find a set of the factory 18" F-150 wheels and run some BFG AT's.

Question 1: What kind of $$$ can I get outta my wheels/tires? (Toyo Open Country 325/65/18's---->half tread)

Question 2: What kind of time frame would I be looking at to remove the body lift? I have all the factory hardware but no air tools.

Question 3: Leave it alone?
Your Body lift looks clean and the side steps are hiding the exposed frame rails well... I'd leave it alone.
The tires at half tread may yield you $400 - $600 depending how they are worn. With the rims maybe $800 because you say they are in rough shape.
I would just sell the wheels and tires and get some factory or aftermarket 20" rims if I were you... Then get some 35 x 12.5 r20 tires of your choosing. The BFG is a solid tire and worth the $$$, but there are other tires that are cheaper and wear just as well... Anything smaller then a 35" tire will look like a rubber band on a body lift with 20's.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definately remove the body lift and replace the rims. I think once you do the truck will look 10x better. As far as the tries go you could post them on here or craigslist and just see what you get out of them
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with keeping the body lift. It looks good and I don't think a budget 2 inch lift vs a 3 inch bl will gain you any benefits either way. Both are really for clearing larger tires.

I am not a fan of after market blacked out rims so I personally support your choice to go to a stock rim. My suggestion would be 09-12 Fx4 18' rims with a set of 33's. Thats how I have mine set up and those Late model Fx4 rims look everybit as good as an after market setup.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Your Body lift looks clean and the side steps are hiding the exposed frame rails well... I'd leave it alone.
The tires at half tread may yield you $400 - $600 depending how they are worn. With the rims maybe $800 because you say they are in rough shape.
I would just sell the wheels and tires and get some factory or aftermarket 20" rims if I were you... Then get some 35 x 12.5 r20 tires of your choosing. The BFG is a solid tire and worth the $$$, but there are other tires that are cheaper and wear just as well... Anything smaller then a 35" tire will look like a rubber band on a body lift with 20's.

Thanks for the input. I just figured that it would be alot of work to swap out the B/L for a 2.5 budget lift, only to hide the frame rails better and tuck my trailer hitch mount better too. I found a local guy on CL that has the factory 18" off an 2008 for $150. I'm thinking about grabbing them.

Originally Posted by 05 4x4 Triton
I would definately remove the body lift and replace the rims. I think once you do the truck will look 10x better. As far as the tries go you could post them on here or craigslist and just see what you get out of them

I think I'll try the CL option after I find another set of wheels/tires to replace them first.

Originally Posted by Thisguyuknow
I agree with keeping the body lift. It looks good and I don't think a budget 2 inch lift vs a 3 inch bl will gain you any benefits either way. Both are really for clearing larger tires.

I am not a fan of after market blacked out rims so I personally support your choice to go to a stock rim. My suggestion would be 09-12 Fx4 18' rims with a set of 33's. Thats how I have mine set up and those Late model Fx4 rims look everybit as good as an after market setup.

Will you post a pic of yours?
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Ryan

Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

I typically hate body lifts, but your's really doesn't look bad at all. If it's bugging you, buy the plastic rear fender well inserts to hide the gap and leave the rest of the truck alone. The wheels even look good in black, I'd just order a set of 325/65R18 BFG A/T's and call it a day, looks good as is!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttlejunkie

Will you post a pic of yours?
Sure
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 190 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rmp213
I typically hate body lifts, but your's really doesn't look bad at all. If it's bugging you, buy the plastic rear fender well inserts to hide the gap and leave the rest of the truck alone. The wheels even look good in black, I'd just order a set of 325/65R18 BFG A/T's and call it a day, looks good as is!
I agree here ^ get the rear gap guards and call it a day. The wheels need some chrome to tie in those bumpers though.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Your truck looks awesome bro. If you feel the need I'd say just have the wheels and running boards powder coated. I like the lift, cover the gap and call it a day. Sweet truck.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thisguyuknow
Sure

Nice wheels!!!

Originally Posted by FFBoomer519
I agree here ^ get the rear gap guards and call it a day. The wheels need some chrome to tie in those bumpers though.

I googled them and decided i'm going to make them out of 7075 T-6 aluminum (I got tons of it at work). I've been tempted to peel the plasti dip off the wheels but I actually used a tire shine on the tires today after I washed/detailed the truck and fell in love with it all over again lol

Originally Posted by Rusty Luck
Your truck looks awesome bro. If you feel the need I'd say just have the wheels and running boards powder coated. I like the lift, cover the gap and call it a day. Sweet truck.

Thanks for the compliment! Very much appreciated.

I am about to leave the house here shortly and buy another set of tires! BFG Mud Terrains (255/75/17 = 31") 70-80% tread left for $100! Gonna slap them on my factory 2004 17" wheels and see what they look like. Might use these for "road trip" tires. I want to drive my truck back home to Arkansas this Christmas with the family because it's more comfortable than my wife Trailblazer....if I could squeeze 18-19 mpg's out of it then I will.

Quick Reply: Opinions on my XLT please