Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ok i need some tonneau cover help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok i need some tonneau cover help

i am building a toneau cover i am a carpenter so the wood part i got what im haven trouble geten in my head is how do i apply the vinyl to the wood i am usen 3/4 treated ply wood i bought a roll of toneau cover vinyl im not sure if i should use spay on adhesive or contact cement or is there a better product to use i have searched all over th inet an cant find anything
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Resident Metalhead

Well, this a bit different homemade mod. Since I don't know your exact plan, I'd say use some form of adhesive, then tuck the edges under and staple it. I'm not suggesting just regular staples either, they make a special staple with a plastic base for use on tar paper for roofing, as far as I know, the special staple is required as well, unless you're good at hammering staples in. The Plastic Base on these staples varies by brand, but I'm familiar with ones that are an almost lime green, nothing a little paint or bedliner can't fix. I'm assuming you're making a hard top tonneau. Since you're a carpenter, I'd assume I don't need to add that you'll want to add crossmembers to brace it so it won't sag over time.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM

yer talking allmost like a button cap i didnt think of that thats a damned good ideal an yes i have the bracing figured out thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Resident Metalhead

That's the term! I'm used to using the Stinger brand stuff, so I'm used to StingerCap Staples, but couldn't think of the names until now. I figure that would secure it tightly, while preventing a rip through.

Quick Reply: ok i need some tonneau cover help