Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

OIl Update from 5w20 to 5w30

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts
Default OIl Update from 5w20 to 5w30

Well, I did it. I swapped over from 5w20 synthetic blend to 5w30 synthetic blend. I also swapped out mufflers and went with a single in dual out flowmaster. I have the tubes coming out behind both rear tires. As far as the exhaust I LOVE IT!

Now for the oil swap.... This truck has 190,000 miles on it and has always used 5w20 castrol. about 9 months ago I swapped over to 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend. Only thing I noticed was less oil consumption. A few days ago I did the dreaded swap to 5w30 motorcraft synthetic blend, and let me tell you. I can tell a world of difference. I have never idled so smooth in my life. Before it would idle rough even with everything cleaned and changed out. Ive ran two tanks of fuel through it and still idles smooth as a kitten. Im actually showing to be getting better gas milage too. Wish I did this a while back! Oh and I forgot to mention Im using a motorcraft filter everytime.

Anyone have any other positive or negative results?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

im really, really debating on doing this. im overdue for a oilchange anyways. running 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend right now w/ motorcraft filter. been looking up doing the change to 5w30 and finding nothing but good things.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Funny, I just did the reverse, I think. I bought my truck from a GM dealer, who had changed the oil as part of the detail before they sold it. I assume since its a GM dealer, they put 5w30 or 10w30. Oil was nice and clean, but the truck ticked at idle around 500-600RPM. It was not an exhaust leak, but I could't find the source of the noise, NOT coming from front of motor.

I suspected a sticky lifter/rocker follower. Not knowing the exact weight of oil that it was running, I swapped it out today for a motorcraft filter and 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Well after 3 minutes of driving the truck, I thought i had made a big mistake. It seemed to tick louder and at idle made a very soft clunking noise along with the loud tick.

I began cursing FOMOCO as I drove to wally world to get some heavier weight oil and change it again. Well when I pulled in the parking lot and put the truck in park, I could not hear the tick anymore, and the idle was nice and smooth and quiet. I got out of the truck and stuck my head in the wheel wells up front, just barely could I hear the tick over the sound of the engine and had to really listen for it.

I went in and did some shopping, came out and started the truck. It was ticking like always, definitely noticeable. Drove home and in the driveway, the noise was gone. So now it ticks at startup/cold, but when fully warm the noise is almost gone. Before I changed the oil it would tick all the time. I bought some Techron concentrate at the store and dumped that in the tank for kicks too. I'm gonna seafoam it again next week as well, but thought I'd share my reverse oil swap with you for another side of the coin argument.

Quick Reply: OIl Update from 5w20 to 5w30