Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil Pump Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pump Screen?

So I was reading about dry starts on here where the motor has a pretty loud ticking and then it goes away when warmed up. Mine is 2004 5.4. I'm ruling out exhaust manifolds and phasers because I've already had all that looked at and I replaced the VCT solenoids. Anyway, several people mentioned the oil pump screens being clogged and I'm thinking this may be my issue. I've only had the truck for 9 months and have had every issue you could imagine with it. So, has anyone changed their pump screen out? Was is clogged pretty bad? I'm thinking mine has some sludge or something in there since the VCT solenoids looked sludgy when pulled. When you drop the oil pan will you need to put a new gasket in? Just wondering if this is all an easy job as it sounds like it is.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I have no idea but keep us updated I might tackle this my next oil change as well. Just because I am well past 100k and it seems like preventative maintenance.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 PM
JNelson

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've dropped my pan before to check the screen on the pick up tube. I had a dime size piece of plastic in it from the chain guides. On 4x4 5.4 trucks you have to drop the swap bar, remove the crossmember and the undo one bolt on the front diff and pull down to get a little more clearance. It wasn't a big deal but I had a buddy with helping and it sucked laying out in the driveway. I reused the gasket and also used rtv and haven't had a problem and its been about a year. Replacing the entire tube/screen wouldn't have been hard once at that point.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM

So how long did that take you to do all that? Did it make a noticeable difference in noise when you started it up? Mine sounds like s*** every time I start it but is fine after it warms up. No exhaust leaks either.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you use (or are using) an oil filter with an anti siphon valve after you fix her up.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM
JNelson

It took a couple hours I suppose but if I did it again it would be a lot quicker. It did not make a difference in start up noise because my tensioners were already shot but I have to believe that piece of plastic was causing some sort of pressure issue. Not to long after I had all the timing stuff replaced. The one guide was broke in half. I've always used a motorcraft filter and switched to a 5w-30 oil after doing this.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pump Screen?-image-996635769.jpg   Oil Pump Screen?-image-3298183998.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by lariat05.4
It took a couple hours I suppose but if I did it again it would be a lot quicker. It did not make a difference in start up noise because my tensioners were already shot but I have to believe that piece of plastic was causing some sort of pressure issue. Not to long after I had all the timing stuff replaced. The one guide was broke in half. I've always used a motorcraft filter and switched to a 5w-30 oil after doing this.
Wow, that was in your oil pan! So was it worth it having all the timing and phasers redone? Is your truck quieter now? I've been debating on having it done since I've owned the truck but I have 151K on the motor. Not sure if it'd make more sense to get a new motor or pay to have the timing redone. Then there's the matter of finding a good shop to do it besides the dealership.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
JNelson

Originally Posted by sinclairgraphics1

Wow, that was in your oil pan! So was it worth it having all the timing and phasers redone? Is your truck quieter now? I've been debating on having it done since I've owned the truck but I have 151K on the motor. Not sure if it'd make more sense to get a new motor or pay to have the timing redone. Then there's the matter of finding a good shop to do it besides the dealership.
Just the first picture with the small piece was sucked up on the pickup tube screen. The other picture was taken after getting everything replaced. I just posted that so you could see how bad it got and clearly where that small piece came from. My truck is quiet as can be now with 140k on it. It depends on what you want to do with yours. My mechanic did it all for $500 labor so that was well worth it for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by lariat05.4
Just the first picture with the small piece was sucked up on the pickup tube screen. The other picture was taken after getting everything replaced. I just posted that so you could see how bad it got and clearly where that small piece came from. My truck is quiet as can be now with 140k on it. It depends on what you want to do with yours. My mechanic did it all for $500 labor so that was well worth it for me.
Damn, that's a great deal, is your mechanic a friend? I live in Des Moines, IA which isn't too far from Minnesota. Did he do the phasers and timing belt, all the works? Hell, it'd be worth a drive up there for me at that price. I was quoted $2500 from the Ford dealer here and $1700 from another local shop. Can you give me his info?

Quick Reply: Oil Pump Screen?