Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil Leak - Where is it Coming From?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil Leak - Where is it Coming From?

Hi - I have an oil leak in my '05 with 5.4L, and am having trouble locating where it is coming from.

Originally oil was saturated everywhere - the entire oil pan, transfer case, front axle, belt, and the entire front of the motor (up to about 1/2 way on the alternator). I cleaned all the oil with brake cleaner as much as possible.

Once clean, I was able to narrow it down yesterday. Oil seems most concentrated on the front of the motor and front side of oil pan. Oil is pretty concentrated starting around midway up the motor on down, and is heaviest on the passenger side of the truck. There are generally 2 puddles when I park.

Does anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from? Any common places?

A lot of searches came up with oil filter adaptor, but that seems fairly dry, plus the oil is more concentrated on the passenger side.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

either the passenger valve cover and working its way down or maybe the front cover has a leaky seal somewhere
Old 07-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

There's a spot on the timing cover, and two spots where the valve cover meet the timing cover (on each side of the motor) that require a little bit of RTV. It sounds like someone did some work to the motor, and didn't use the RTV when putting the covers back on.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to drop a quart every other week on mine... after about a week of cleaning and searching, it ended up being the Oil Filter Adapter Gasket. Spent $15 and haven't had a drop of oil hit the ground since.

It's hard to pinpoint that particular leak because of how the oil spreads as it leaks... I had oil traveling and dripping from the front of the engine and all the way back to the rear of the oil pan....
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Thanks, I'll check a little closer at the valve/timing cover in that area. There is 155,000 on the truck. I've had it for about 80k with no work being done. I'll check if I can tighten up any bolts. Might just be a case of the gasket going bad.

Hopefully its the valve cover, looks like it is a PITA to remove the timing cover.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 PM

The oil filter area seemed fairly dry compared to the rest. It's also on the other side of the truck where most of the oil is. That would have been nice if that's was it!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak - Where is it Coming From?