Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil leak after oil change!?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leak after oil change!?

Hello, I just changed my oil a few days ago and my 2008 4.6 L F150. I literally do all my own oil changes been doing it for years routine oil change nothing weird. I have noticed for some reason after this oil change I started smelling a smell of burning oil while driving after a while. Because of this I checked my oil, and I am indeed leaking oil because I just changed it and I'm lower than full. The weird thing is I have no drip anywhere. It is not the filter it is not the drain plug or the drain plug gasket. There is some lose oil that's on a hose that runs in front of the oil filter, but I figured that's from where I spilled it when changing the filter. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

If you've only checked the oil level one time it might be that the "missing" oil went in to the oil filter. Your first guess is probably right and you just spilled a little and it's made its way to somewhere hot. Check the level several times and be sure it's actually disappearing.

Also, as I understand Ford's fill advice, they recommend only adding oil when the level drops below the range. Apparently, damage from over-filing is worse than damage from running under for a short while. So, no need to top it off it's not at the high end. Just make a note of level, and monitor.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default better a little low than overfilled

Foaming etc from overfilling and hydraulic pressure on seals not good . You need to surround your oil fill with rags/ paper towels and use a funnel to fill . I once spilled some and it went into a alternator ruining it $$$$. Never again .
Yes you need to check your level several times after changing and running . Unlevel ground ,temperature etc . I preload my oil filter ,
some say you shouldn't but hey I fix my own stuff with my own money and I don't like the delay in oil pressure while its filling from oil pump. . I keep a funnel and rags in engine compartment for top offs so I don't have to hunt for one and I clean funnel before using . I always carry extra syn oil in case it goes low ,these engines burn oil .
Debri in crankcase can slow the filling of oil filter and flow rate such as broken plastic guides pieces and sludge blocking oil pickup screen .
Always look for leak around oil filter after change .
Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

How would you pre-load an oil filter on the 5.4 ? You would make a mess..
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I preload my filters and have never had a spill. I preload the filter at the start of the project and lay it aside. By the time I get to putting in the filter, the oil has soaked into the filter and none spills out. I am sure you could put so much into the filter it would spill out, but even then, not much. You can keep a slight tilt up on the filter right until it reaches the contact point and then screw it on quickly.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default I put a stucco pan under and very little spills out as i quickly screw it in .

Its no worse than the oil taking it out . Oil is like blood you are going to lose some . Ask any of us old guys with paper thin skin .
Old 03-13-2018, 10:53 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

My luck, I'd drop the pre-loaded filter on my face.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep
How would you pre-load an oil filter on the 5.4 ? You would make a mess..
4.6...Isn't that filter straight up and down?

Regardless, do as others have said and check it periodically. My bet is spilled oil. Simple.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
4.6...Isn't that filter straight up and down?
Not on mine, but my 4.6 was built in the Windsor plant and uses a different size oil filter than most 04 4.6's too.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by AlleninNM
I preload my filters and have never had a spill. I preload the filter at the start of the project and lay it aside. By the time I get to putting in the filter, the oil has soaked into the filter and none spills out. I am sure you could put so much into the filter it would spill out, but even then, not much. You can keep a slight tilt up on the filter right until it reaches the contact point and then screw it on quickly.
‘when you stated pre-load .. I assumed you were talking about filling it up.. ain’t no way you could fill it up and try to install it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak after oil change!?