Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil Catch Can 5.4L 3V - Have you done it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Default Oil Catch Can 5.4L 3V - Have you done it?

So I was just wondering how many of you have installed an oil catch can on the passenger side for your 5.4L -- If you have, has it caught a fair amount of blowby?

What can did you use, do you have pics? I just want you to share it with everyone if you've done this as I am thinking about adding it soon as an insurance policy.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:28 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Thinking of adding it on drivers side

I think I want to get oil out as it goes into intake manifold . I want a filtered deflector and a drain . I was going to see about mounting it in front of the radiator . Maybe run a spare and change them for cleaning . I can't see the benefit of adding it on passenger side as that seems to be the input of the engine and it would be to catch moisture going in .
I maybe wrong on that but that's why I haven't proceeded yet . I guess it depends on where you live hot or cold . I live in hot fl so can will not be exposed to freezing much if I mount it up front .
I am concerned with the build up of oil in the intake and the valves from oil .
So I kicked off discussion we will see where it lands .
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redfishtd
I think I want to get oil out as it goes into intake manifold . I want a filtered deflector and a drain . I was going to see about mounting it in front of the radiator . Maybe run a spare and change them for cleaning . I can't see the benefit of adding it on passenger side as that seems to be the input of the engine and it would be to catch moisture going in .
I maybe wrong on that but that's why I haven't proceeded yet . I guess it depends on where you live hot or cold . I live in hot fl so can will not be exposed to freezing much if I mount it up front .
I am concerned with the build up of oil in the intake and the valves from oil .
So I kicked off discussion we will see where it lands .
Unlike this guys 2V motor: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/dual-pc...-4l-3v-374176/

Our 3V engines are designed a little different as explained by Bucko previously.

Originally Posted by Bucko
Excessive crankcase blowby, or a sticking PCV valve. Our engines have a crankcase ventilation system that draws fresh air into the drivers side valve cover. There is a PCV valve that controls the amount of air drawn in through the crankcase (idle verses wide open throttle conditions). The crankcase fumes, which contains oil mist are then routed to the air intake via the passenger side valve cover to air intake by the throttle body to be burned off. Many folks will install an oil catch can on this side (passenger side valve cover to air intake) to prevent the oil mist from building up on the throttle body plate.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With lack of maintaining the PCV valve i can see the need but proper maintenance i see no reason for it.
But lets see some pics of people who have done it to their 3V.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Catch cans are unnecessary on naturally aspirated motors.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chadderkdawg
Catch cans are unnecessary on naturally aspirated motors.
I've heard that they're not required but they also can have a use.

Hence why I asked for input from people who have done it before now.