Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil Analysis Test Results

Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Oil Analysis Test Results

So I finally had an oil analysis done on the truck. After some discussion in other forums about viscosity and what not I had to do it. I've been curious for a while but at the same time kind of didn't want to know. My curiosity finally bit me. So here it is. 84,014 miles on the truck. 80,000 miles of Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5w20, 40,000 miles of which she has been supercharged and 20,000 of those have been over 12psi. I usually change my oil every 2500-3000 miles out of concern for fuel dilution and contamination thanks to the blower and how I drive the truck. This time I let it go for 4,000 miles since 1800 miles were interstate between 70-90mph.

I am pumped at these results. They confirm Mobil 1 5w20 is just fine and does the job, K&N oil filter does it's part, and that the 5.4 3V is a well built engine. I am making 115% more hp at the wheels then a stock truck and she is wearing better then the average engine.

I will do more test. Not hanging everything on this one study but it has boosted my confidence. Also I will continue my usual 2500-3000 miles oil changes with these TBN ratings.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find this interesting. I know oil testing has been available for cars for a while, just don't hear a great deal about it. Oil test have been used for years by the military and from what I have seen, they are accurate. We had a helo on an aircraft carrier that was showing contamination in the tail rotor gear box. They shorten the testing period but pushed their luck to far. The helo declared an emergency because of a chip detector warning light--it was eating its self up--just as it pulled along side the carrier it failed and the helo fell.....into the water. 4 crewmen were safe. The CO never saw another promotion though.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Those are some good numbers bro! Mobil 1 is excellent oil. You should grt the same results with Penz Plat or Penz Ultra as well. A lot of people are scared to use 20wt oil but don't understand thst a 30wt will usually shear down to 20wt. Your MODs sure do test an oil as well!

Mine is custom tuned and CAI and I'm getting great numbers on my UOA with MC 5-20 n MC filter.

I did use KnN filters for a while. Cut a few up a d compared to Pure1 filters. No difference between the 2 and UOA were same average numbers so I now use P1 instead of KnN.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I do not care how great penzoil is supposed to be now... I still wouldn't run that crap in my lawn mower let alone my daily driver truck... Penzoil an Quaker state or both a parifin wax oil which means as it heats up an cools over and over it begins to sludge... Change them often you won't have a whole to worry bout but I'd rather not have to worry ... Mobil or valvoline for me
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2008f1504x4
I do not care how great penzoil is supposed to be now... I still wouldn't run that crap in my lawn mower let alone my daily driver truck... Penzoil an Quaker state or both a parifin wax oil which means as it heats up an cools over and over it begins to sludge... Change them often you won't have a whole to worry bout but I'd rather not have to worry ... Mobil or valvoline for me
SN certified oil...might be a good idea to look into it before those kinda of statements. Science and a whole lot of UOA says different.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe these days but I still wouldn't run it... Penzoil has always been the bottom of the barrel oil... So unless they changed things ... It's trash to me... My statement stands... Ill never run it... I don't buy in to people's advertisements and crap put what you want on tv and the bottle... For all I know sn certification means nothing .. Valvoline or Mobil...
Old 03-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe these days but I still wouldn't run it... Penzoil has always been the bottom of the barrel oil... So unless they changed things ... It's trash to me... My statement stands... Ill never run it... I don't buy in to people's advertisements and crap put what you want on tv and the bottle... For all I know sn certification means nothing .. Valvoline or Mobil...

Something about this just bothers me,

"For all I know sn certification means nothing"

So, your admitting your ignorance? You're openly discounting a certification you know nothing about due to personal preference?
Its great you're passionate about what oil you use, but justifying your decision by refusing to acknowledge the facts is silly and you can't expect anyone to take your opinion seriously like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM

I can sure get the part where you don't like Penzoil or Quaker State. The SN rating is a huge step up for oils of the past. QS is an oil I will most likely never use as I simply don't like it....I know it has been muvh improved and if frankly one of the best bangs for the buck in a quality oil. I just don't like it.

I use Mobil 1 in my wifes 2010 Armada....I know for a fact Penzoil Ultra and Penzoil Platinum are no better nor no worse than Mobil 1. YET I have an affinity to Mobil 1 so I stick with it.

Nothing wrong with you not liking an oil; I sure wont break you're ***** over that. But do take a few and check up on SN rating and the literal hundreds of used oil analysys on various oil sites showing Penzoil oils (Yellow Bottle, and the higher priced synthetics) working great. Also true for a whole lot of other oils out there...Including Quaker State which I can't stand.

And this is all real worl application data. Nothing to do with advertisements.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 PM
12 Second Truck

I don't buy in to advertisements nor testing performed by or paid for by any oil company. Many things have changed over the years with oils, whats in them, and what they are capable of.
For a valid read on oils and other fluids look here:http://www.pqiamerica.com/index.html

For the spotlight on synthetics look here: These links are invaluable
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...dpagefinl.html
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...dpagernd2.html
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...pagerndb3.html
Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM
12 Second Truck

I would encourage anyone who cares to educate themselves with the links I posted above. Good info about trans fluids, oils, and more. And for what it's worth, in another year check up on it again. Oils and formulations are changed all time. Anyone of them can be the bottom today and the best next year. Though the turn around is not usually that quick I think you get my point.

My curiosity about my motors condition is what promted me to do the test. I also wanted to know if the Mobil 1 was doing it's job. Any guys or gals who have a real interest or even a loyalty to a brand should run at least one of these test. It will help you see what your oils doing, what particles it's flushing out, and if you can go longer in between oil changes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Analysis Test Results