Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oh NO! [Pictures included]

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Oh NO! [Pictures included]

So on the way home from work today, everything seamed fine... Got to the house, got out of my truck, and I smell just slight engine smell that I've never smelt before. I was about to just blow it off but I decided to pop the hood.... Well ****, I'm not driving my truck any time soon . As you can see on the right side of the picture, part of my engine shell just broke off....... When you look inside, you can see my camshaft phaser chain. I'm not an auto mechanic and haven't been working on vehicles for a long time, just this truck and my car. But I have all the tools from being an electrician and also buying tools for my vehicles over time. Just wondering if this is a huge problem and going to be a huge cost to fix! I don't mind doing it myself, but it looks like I need to replace the shell of whatever part of my engine this is...

Engine light also came on after i turned my truck back on to move it to a spot where its going to be sitting for awhile, this literally just happened not even 5 miles ago, so thankfully I caught it sooner rather than too late! The code reads P0012 which has to do with the cam shaft phaser. I think its reading that code because there is no pressure because of the hole. When you look into the hole, you can see what looks to be my cam shaft phaser chain.

Well damn... Any ideas how this could of possibly happened lol, also wondering if this is going to be a huge ordeal to fix myself? I'm also wondering if you think its going to be like $500+ or something. Thanks a ton for your time and help on this, thank god for this forum.
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:23 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Have you been hearing chain slap, anything like that? Looks like your chain ate a hole in the valve cover.
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
Have you been hearing chain slap, anything like that? Looks like your chain ate a hole in the valve cover.
No nothing has really sounded abnormal to me, but then again I'm not too experienced with the sounds and what not. I bought this truck about 3 years ago, and did a ton of work to it. I did an oil change maybe 3 weeks ago, probably unrelated? I made sure the oil level was exactly where it needed to be. Umm, ever sense I bought my truck, it has sounded like a diesel engine. But I'm like 90%+ sure that is a spring on my cam shaft phaser that broke and it makes it sound like that. Fords 2004 - 2007 are all notorious for that to happen. They say it is absolutely harmless but just gives it a diesel sound. So I guess if I'm going to have to open all this up, I might as well replace the phaser with the spring, so I can get rid of that annoying sound! That's the only positive thing that is going to come out of this lol

Edit: I can probably stick my finger into that hole and feel how snug the chain is for ya, I'm not sure how snug it should feel though.

Last edited by DJayAce; 04-12-2018 at 05:30 PM.
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:35 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

You need to do a complete timing job if you're going in. I'm going to guess that the chain guide let go and your chain was just slowly eating away at the valve cover
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SCORGE
You need to do a complete timing job if you're going in. I'm going to guess that the chain guide let go and your chain was just slowly eating away at the valve cover
So I know its a little too soon to know what all needs to be replaced. But is it safe to say that certain things are absolutely going to need to be replaced? Like the cam phasers/chain/ chain guide ect... I really don't know what's all in there, I'm inexperienced with opening something like this up. I'm willing to take it on though! I'm in no rush sense I have another vehicle. I'm willing to do this as professional as possible, hoping there is guides and videos I can follow. But, for sure the shell needs to be replaced, sounds like the chain guide also if you are right.
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2018, 07:04 PM

So for sure valve cover needs to be replaced on the passenger side. That'll be a $100 part. I might replace the chains and the phasers and all, so that'll be another $200. Plus maybe some gaskets I'll have to buy, so all together maybe a $350-$400 at most job if I do it myself, IF I want to replace everything. If I open it up and everything looks fine but the cover and whatever caused that hole, maybe it'll be less. Well damn, guess I should start by opening this all up!... Well I guess this truck has taught me just about everything at this point lol, I still love my ford though
o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Pull the passenger valve cover see valve train-- check cam .

Mine threw a roller to side without cam damage . Yours may be the chain but you are in for a timing job . That alone is $1400 in parts without new valve cover . Did all that myself but you have to study the procedure . Plenty of help here . use oem parts and there are updated recommended fixes . Use old style ratcheting metal tensioners with no seal to blow out .
Melling just came out with 340hv high volume oil pump .
Oem select ebay good source for parts . Do not use non oem phasors .
Start by setting engine at timing point before taking chains off . Plan on pulling cams to replace rollers and lashs . It also avoids bending valves as no valves will be down . Pulling cams is easy just do it carefully and remove bolts a little at a time using factory sequence . All this is available on here . The best special tool is the toothed holding tool for the phasor . The valve tool is a pain .
Pass valve cover ---You can pull ac line out of way by removing battery tray and removing dryer nut to give a little play .
The following 3 users liked this post by redfishtd:
getwithit (04-20-2018), Mike2147 (03-04-2020), o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

That's a rapid burst, not a slow wear. Something broke inside. Probably one of the guides. At the upper left corner you can see where it flaked as the piece departed.

Last edited by PerryB; 04-13-2018 at 10:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by PerryB:
Arizona Tumbleweed (04-13-2018), getwithit (04-20-2018), o6S1D9e (11-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:33 AM

Going to take it apart today to see what the cause of this was. Will update this thread when I find out! I got a lot going on today so hopefully I can get it done, if not tomorrow!
Mike2147 (03-04-2020)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJayAce
Going to take it apart today to see what the cause of this was. Will update this thread when I find out! I got a lot going on today so hopefully I can get it done, if not tomorrow!
I'm guessing here, but pretty sure you are going to find to much slack in the timing chain - maybe the tensioner failed - maybe overdue for new timing chains

Quick Reply: Oh NO! [Pictures included]