Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Odd bumping, clicking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 PM
^ formerly hdub00

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Odd bumping, clicking noise.

I recently had my lower ball joints replaced by the local ford dealer, in addition at the same time I had them mount my 18" XD Rockstars and 33 nittos on. New tires and rims.

However, ever since then whenever I pass over any bump or pothole, or any abnormal surface in the road, I can hear a noise coming from my front left tire area.

I took it back to the dealership, and they told me that the noise is from my strut springs touching the inside of the upper support arm, because I have 2" levelers. Funny thing is, I had the levelers on it before the tires and new ball joints, there was no noise or sound. Also, its ONLY the front left side.

I've done all the tests from rocking the truck from different angles, I can't feel anything in the steering wheel, but the noise is driving me crazy, I feel like something is getting torn up, and the ford dealership is too lazy to look at it.

My questions:

1. Is it possible that the rim isnt mounted correctly? All the lugnuts are tight, I checked.

2. Are the lower ball joints on incorrectly, or deffective?

3. What are some other things I can check?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bar links. They're junk on all fords pretty much. They'll make a noise over small bumps, but not large ones like speed bumps.
When you replace them, get the greasable ones, not the oem parts from ford.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the same problem and it also started after lower ball joint replacement. I tried replacing end links, no change. Oh and I don't have a lift kit, totally stock so I doubt that's your problem. I'm wondering if its the upper ball joints? I tried lifting the driver side tire by the lower control arm and yanked left right on wheel and noticed that the steering wheel linkage has a noise as well and a little play when you yank on it. I'm wondering if that may be the cause?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
^ formerly hdub00

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennyv83
Sway bar links. They're junk on all fords pretty much. They'll make a noise over small bumps, but not large ones like speed bumps.
When you replace them, get the greasable ones, not the oem parts from ford.
Are you referring to this?

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Sway bar links are to the left of what you circled and connects end of sway bar to lower A arms. Looks like you end links and sway bar clamp (circled) have already been replaced with aftermarket poly bushings.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to add some info to this thread, since I was looking into this for a while.
I replaced my sway bar end links with the greaseable moog ones, about $50 for each side, but they are greaseable and have the moog lifetime warranty.
Anyways I too had a "popping" or "clunking" noise from the front end when turning sharply and going over bumps. Replacing the end links got rid of the noises turns much smoother now.

In this pic you posted from above, it looks like you had the "bushings" replaced with poly ones, but the end link itself is still factory.

The arrow pointing to the "4x4" sticker tells me that its still the factory end link.

The circle with an arrow pointing toward it is the part "link" that actually goes bad and makes the noises.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Odd bumping, clicking noise.