Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ODBII Dongle and the Torque app

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default ODBII Dongle and the Torque app

This is for the folks who use the Torque program; I am having a weird thing going on, I hope you can help.

I have been running the Torque app, with the Amazon ODBII dongle for aa couple of years, since my cops took a dump and I wanted to be able to monitor my fix. The app, while flawed, is cool and I run it pretty frequently to monitor radiator and transmission temp, and specifically the misfires per cylinder.

I now have the situation where the App indicates that I have at least one misfire per initial morning trip, and recently have been registering up to 4 per trip. Here is the weird part, it is never the same cylinders (or at least very rarely). So one day I might have a registered misfire on cylinders 1, 5 and 8. Then the next day two misfires register on cylinder 7, one on 2 and one on 5. It seems to be random, and ranges all over - there is never one single cylinder every time.

Does this matter? With the thousands of revolutions that an engine does, do a couple of misfires a day matter, or is this just a program error built into the thing, and so the misfires don't matter? OR are my cats going to explode at some point? Is there any way I can tell, or cut this off at the pass?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted basically the same thing yesterday. I have not seen a response. My 2007 XLT with 5.4L has a few misfires every trip also. I hope someone in the know responds.

Warrenoliver
Old 08-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

A small amount of misfires are normal, especially if they are random. If you start to see them popping up on the same cylinder time and time again, its time to start looking for a root cause.

Quick Reply: ODBII Dongle and the Torque app