Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage/Stuck Rich (B1S1)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage/Stuck Rich (B1S1)

My 2004, 5.4L FX4 is throwing the following codes:
P0132 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage B1S1
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich B1S1

This started about a week ago. Occasionally, while taking off from a complete stop, the truck will buck constantly as if it were starving for gas. It is not misfiring as I have the torque pro app to verify. While it is "bucking", the short term fuel trim drops to -26.6 until the bucking stops. It then returns to where it should be. I had the original B1S1 O2 sensor replaced about a year and a half ago. It was not throwing the high voltage and stuck rich codes. A few months later, it started reading the same P0132 and P2196 codes (along with a few others). In November of last year, I had both passenger side catalytic converters replaced along with two new O2 sensors. The link below describes the situation in more detail. Now, the new B1S1 O2 sensor appears to be failing. I ran my fingers up the wiring from the sensor and noticed that it appears to have cut and spliced by the person who replaced it. I'm guessing this is the likely problem. Has anyone replaced the entire wiring between the O2 sensors and the PCM? Could this just simply be a bad splice? I read online somewhere that these wires are not meant to be spliced since they carry reference air to the sensors.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/2004-fx...inders-430925/
Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I don't see a problem with a proper splice and heat shrink to protect it... have you checked the condition of your Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) ... bucking and fuel pressure as you mentioned are making me think this.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 AM

I have not checked the FPDM. Wouldn't that throw a code (P1233) if it were faulty?
Old 02-15-2019, 04:12 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default fpdm does not really throw code

if its corroded or old style replace it with one on standoffs . its going to fail anyway .
bank one sensor one is passenger side . Its either stuck or enough oxy isn't present . That means too much fuel ,could be leaking injectors . Pcm just adjusts injector pulse width,it does this with short term fuel trim trying to bring long term within limits and entering closed loop and then oscillating back and forth to keep it trimmed
So on torque pro under test results per cly ,you don't have counts accumulating on any cyl short of maximum to set cel ? sure sounds like misfires . 'You can remove injectors leave them on rails turn key on with dry newspaper under it there should be no leaks .
I'm sure you have changed fuel filter.
Do you have melted wiring on o2 connectors ?Do you have stock air intake to fender is it cleaned out no mice or other nests .How many miles on these injectors .
Old 02-18-2019, 08:58 AM

The B1S1 voltage graph is indicating high voltage at all times. It is flat lined at 1.2V I believe. I visually inspected the FPDM and it does not appear to be corroded. Should I replace it anyways? Fuel rail pressure while driving is 38-40 psi. There are no (very minimal) misfire counts accumulating under the torque pro test results . The air intake to fender is stock and it is also clean. The injectors have never been replaced to the best of my knowledge. That means they have roughly 315k miles on them. When the studdering/bucking does happen, it is usually at lower speeds (15-25mph). I cannot visually see any melted wiring on the o2 connectors. I also cannot see the entire length of wiring due to lack of space in the area. That o2 sensor is a pain to get to.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Finally replaced the O2 sensor B1S1 on Saturday. I did not clear the CEL b/c I was wanting to see if it cleared itself. It cleared itself after approx. 150 miles. Truck drives perfectly with not more stuttering. Everything appears normal on my Torque Pro app. My question is now, what could be the common mode failure of the same O2 sensor multiple times? Bad fuel injector???
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Cheap generic O2 sensor or OEM?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM

The previous replacements were the OEM Motorcraft sensors. I went with Bosch this time for a change. They were $61. We'll see how long they last. Hopefully longer than the Motorcrafts.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage/Stuck Rich (B1S1)