Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Not looking forward to this endeavor.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Not looking forward to this endeavor.....Transmission Failure

Well I have always suspected one or both of my cam phasers of being shot...And just recently I started to hear a few odd noises. First off, I noticed a new sound (not sure if its phaser related or not, first thought it was the belt but its not). This new sound is sort of a high pitched metalic type of noise, almost what I would expect to hear if a bearing of some sort was going out, but it only happens between 2,000 rpm and 2500 rpm then stops afterwards. And it only does it under load. I tried to recreate the noise with it parked and the hood open thinking it may be a belt pulley but couldnt get it to do it. I have also noticed a bit of a difference in the exhaust tone which is a bit peculiar to me. THEN on my way home from the grocery store tonight the truck started noticeably rattling (by noticeably I mean I could hear it with my window down and over my aftermarket exhaust) under acceleration at about the same rpms that the first noise I was describing was happening. I hope hope hope its nothing too major. I can deal with replacing the phasers as I have been wanting to do it anyway....Any thoughts? Truck seems to idle just fine, no codes, and the rattling stops after you get higher into the rpms....

Truck is a 2004 5.4 and has 108,000 miles on it. I hope its nothing too major to fix and I can carry on with driving this truck well towards 200,000 miles

Last edited by Buck; 10-22-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck
Well I have always suspected one or both of my cam phasers of being shot...And just recently I started to hear a few odd noises. First off, I noticed a new sound (not sure if its phaser related or not, first thought it was the belt but its not). This new sound is sort of a high pitched metalic type of noise, almost what I would expect to hear if a bearing of some sort was going out, but it only happens between 2,000 rpm and 2500 rpm then stops afterwards. And it only does it under load. I tried to recreate the noise with it parked and the hood open thinking it may be a belt pulley but couldnt get it to do it. I have also noticed a bit of a difference in the exhaust tone which is a bit peculiar to me. THEN on my way home from the grocery store tonight the truck started noticeably rattling (by noticeably I mean I could hear it with my window down and over my aftermarket exhaust) under acceleration at about the same rpms that the first noise I was describing was happening. I hope hope hope its nothing too major. I can deal with replacing the phasers as I have been wanting to do it anyway....Any thoughts? Truck seems to idle just fine, no codes, and the rattling stops after you get higher into the rpms....

Truck is a 2004 5.4 and has 108,000 miles on it. I hope its nothing too major to fix and I can carry on with driving this truck well towards 200,000 miles
the noise under a load could be a spark knock... thats about all i know... ive never work on one of these 5.4's...dont plan on it either..lol but my uncle just bought an 05 and wants me to tune it up.. i think im going to say EFF it and move to mexico lol
Old 10-21-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the belt looks good with no cracks, then I suspect the new sound is your alternator is starting to go.

Glad to see some Southern Ill boys on the forum. My Dad's side of the family is over in Ridgway, and my sister lives in Shawneetown.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Dont think its the alternator....Im actually getting less and less convinced its the phasers now. I started to wonder if maybe its that damn IWE sensor for the 4wd going bad but it doesnt really change with it in 2wd and 4wd....

Also, one of the noises Im really concerned about is coming from under the truck. Almost sounds like a growling noise coming from the transmission or that area. Could a vacuum leak or something associated with the IWE's cause this? Im getting really frustrated.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Originally Posted by cowboy
If the belt looks good with no cracks, then I suspect the new sound is your alternator is starting to go.

Glad to see some Southern Ill boys on the forum. My Dad's side of the family is over in Ridgway, and my sister lives in Shawneetown.
sweet... if you dont mind asking there names?? i live just a few miles away from both towns... went to school at gallatin county
Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 AM

sweet thanks for the help guys....Glad my thread could help you guys connect
The following users liked this post:
John.F150 (01-10-2013)
Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

chill...it was a free bump.......
Old 10-22-2010, 02:43 AM

just lookin for a little bit of help and input....A bit frustrated right now
Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll send you a pm bob with names.

Buck, when my solenoids went the sound was from the front more than it sounded underneath where the tranny was. There was a post somewhere on how to check your IWE sensors, I can't find, I swear it was in the last day or two.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM

Ya well apparently it was none of the above...turns out my transmission is done for. It went on the way to the dealership today. Awesome. turns out what every one is saying is true. 100,000 miles on these transmissions means impending doom for both your transmission and your wallet!

Quick Reply: Not looking forward to this endeavor.....