Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Noob, 5.4 or 4.6? MPG's?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob, 5.4 or 4.6? MPG's?

First off, Hello. noob to this board. In the process of maybe buying a 04+ F150 SuperCab 4x4. don't know much about F150's. Coming from a 2007 F250 FX4 Diesel 4x4 with 35's and a lift kit. Have a few general question, I hope this is the correct section I am posting in. Here goes...

1- Which is a better optio 5.4 or 4.6? pros/cons of each?

2- What kind of MPG's are you getting with what engine, and set up (looking at stock 4x4's)? Does having a Crew cab vs a Xcab hurt MPG's any? Figure all that extra weight in metal, glass and such might affect mpg's.

3- FX4, Lariat or ...XLT? I know the differences, and prefer the FX4 or lariat, but for the right price I'd take a XLT b/c I l ike the Chrome bumpers and would have more money to buy the wheels I like... ie Lariats, or aftermarkets. What do you guys think?

4- Where are the trouble spots on a 2005-2007?

5- I know they make 3.55 & 3.73 ratios in either LSD or open. Which ratio is proving better MPG's stock and which is better for some slightly larger than stock AT tires?

I appreciate the input guys in advance. I've owned a custom built Toyota rock crawler and then my new 6.0 FX4. Never owned a 1500 but I like the physical size of them for the all around use.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Going Postal!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaFordBoy
First off, Hello. noob to this board. In the process of maybe buying a 04+ F150 SuperCab 4x4. don't know much about F150's. Coming from a 2007 F250 FX4 Diesel 4x4 with 35's and a lift kit. Have a few general question, I hope this is the correct section I am posting in. Here goes...

1- Which is a better optio 5.4 or 4.6? pros/cons of each?

5.4L more sack, spark plug issue

2- What kind of MPG's are you getting with what engine, and set up (looking at stock 4x4's)? Does having a Crew cab vs a Xcab hurt MPG's any? Figure all that extra weight in metal, glass and such might affect mpg's.

I just went 411miles on a 25 gallon tank of fuel

3- FX4, Lariat or ...XLT? I know the differences, and prefer the FX4 or lariat, but for the right price I'd take a XLT b/c I l ike the Chrome bumpers and would have more money to buy the wheels I like... ie Lariats, or aftermarkets. What do you guys think?

FX4 pulls more weight

4- Where are the trouble spots on a 2005-2007?

All years have issues

5- I know they make 3.55 & 3.73 ratios in either LSD or open. Which ratio is proving better MPG's stock and which is better for some slightly larger than stock AT tires?

3.73's better for pulling

I appreciate the input guys in advance. I've owned a custom built Toyota rock crawler and then my new 6.0 FX4. Never owned a 1500 but I like the physical size of them for the all around use.
See above
Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Why does the FX4 pull more weight? different frame? What do you mean spark plug issue??? Is the 4.6 a better engine?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to take into consideration that this is a big truck. Small engines in big trucks work harder than a large one. I learned with my boat all about mileage when it comes to switching engines. I had a 5.0 with 220 hp. Then I got a 5.7 with 310 hp. Typically, a throttle that is wide open, WOT, will get half the mileage of a throttle that is running 3/4. I can run faster with the 5.7 and use less gas because the 5.7L doesn't run even close to as hard. I was also able to go way up in the prop angle, which would be similar to putting more of a granny gear in your truck. This would get better mileage, too. I think smaller engines have to be very, very small to really matter on gas when it comes to a decent-sized vehicle like an F150. I think you should go with the 5.4L if you can!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM

That's what I was leaning toward... but whats up with this spark plug issues? Is that where when you change them they strip out the cylinder head? Then you have to pull the head and have it serviced by a machine shop? why do t hey have issues with that? any preventative actions? like maybe a newer truck? less miles, yr?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TampaFordBoy
That's what I was leaning toward... but whats up with this spark plug issues? Is that where when you change them they strip out the cylinder head? Then you have to pull the head and have it serviced by a machine shop? why do t hey have issues with that? any preventative actions? like maybe a newer truck? less miles, yr?
The only thing I've ever heard about the spark plugs that's bad is if you don't put the one that's hardest to service in correctly, threaded and snug, then it can pop out. But any plugs that aren't tightened can do that. My uncle's '02 had a plug pop out and it dented his hood because a moron friend of his changed the spark plugs. I have heard others mention it, but I wouldn't worry about that at all. All vehicles can have little things like that happen. Plus, my truck has 55K on it and I don't plan on messing with the plugs until I notice a reason to. I've been a gearhead all my life and I can tell when plugs start to go. This truck's plugs have a long way to go. If the whole truck is in good shape, the plugs going will cause just a little hesitation when you tap the throttle. Of course with the lame drive-by-wire on these it might be hard to tell. My dealer is so freakin' expensive that I don't even consider things like plugs to be honest.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM

ah 10-4. Yeah I really want to hold for a Xcab or CC 5.4 FX4 Auto. Anyone want to trade me thier FX4 + Cash for my '07 CC Diesel FX4 Lariat?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 AM

I've got the 5.4L Fx4 SuperCrew and I get 16.4 mpg on a regular basis. A friend of mine has an STX w/ the 4.6 and he gets 14 at best and thats on the highway. I'm getting 16 driving in town, the 4.6 is a little to small for the ext cab or crew cab trucks imo.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 PM

bada bing guys. Now who wants a big $50K truck? comon,. someone does...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

See I have the 4.6 and have got a best of 22.5, but average 16 - 17 on a daily basis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob, 5.4 or 4.6? MPG's?