Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Noises When Braking?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises When Braking?

My 05 FX4 started doing this thing a few months ago where every time I brake, the brakes make a clanking sound like metal on metal. Its just one single clank and usually happens when I brake somewhat hard. I can feel it in the brake pedal and the steering wheel as well. I have no idea what it could be. I have a 2" level kit and 2" wheel spacers if this has anything to do with it. I recently found someone else with the same issue so I know its not specific to me. Any ideas?

On a side note, besides the brakes, the entire front end makes a "pop" or banging sound when I make sharp turns, especially turns over bumps. It's almost as if the front end is dropping down a few inches or shifting around.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a clank in my front end a little while ago. I guess I didn't get a caliper bolt tight because it had back out so when I hit the breaks or a bump it would rattle against the bracket that holds it in.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeathMc
I had a clank in my front end a little while ago. I guess I didn't get a caliper bolt tight because it had back out so when I hit the breaks or a bump it would rattle against the bracket that holds it in.
I'll have it checked out. Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

also happens if your pads don't have enough grease or enough CLEAN grease between them and the caliper. the pads slip back and forth within the bracket based on the direction of the tire. not harmful at all, just noisy and annoying
Old 11-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Some guy

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by fanggallo
I'll have it checked out. Thanks
you can do that yourself pretty easy, just reach behind the tire and feel for four bolts and make sure they're tight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noises When Braking?