Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Noise at 1500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Noise at 1500 rpm

Yesterday i start hearing a tapping coming from the engine that only occurs in a narrow range right around 1500rpm, nothing before and nothing after. It kind of sounds like an exhaust leak but baffled at the fact it only occurs at around 1500 rpms. No check engine lights and no drivability issue. Has anyone come across this before?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Can you get someone to hold the throttle down, and use a stethoscope to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from?
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Can you get someone to hold the throttle down, and use a stethoscope to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from?
Unfortunately it doesn't happen when it's not under load. Have to driving to hear it.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Is it a light tapping, or deep? If it's light, I would try to determine if it's an engine accessory, like a pulley bearing. If it's deeper in tone, I'd check the oil pressure, just to make sure it's within an acceptable range.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the EGR Valve. I had to get my neighbor to listen with a screw driver, while I had the truck in gear, and foot on the brake as well as the accelerator, to get the RPMs to 1500. It was comical to watch, I'm sure. I don't really recommend this, but it worked.

Mine sounded like a rattle can of spray paint at 1500 rpms. The way I understand it is that the EGR is supposed to close above 1500rpms, and if you spend much time at that engine speed, it can get confused when it wears out. For me this was typical neighborhood speed. The rattle I heard was the valve opening and closing rapidly.

I think I got a new one from autozone for like ~$50. Gas mileage improved, and I felt I had more power. Also, the dealer could not locate the sound... even though they said they heard it.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crow Bait
Check the EGR Valve. I had to get my neighbor to listen with a screw driver, while I had the truck in gear, and foot on the brake as well as the accelerator, to get the RPMs to 1500. It was comical to watch, I'm sure. I don't really recommend this, but it worked. Mine sounded like a rattle can of spray paint at 1500 rpms. The way I understand it is that the EGR is supposed to close above 1500rpms, and if you spend much time at that engine speed, it can get confused when it wears out. For me this was typical neighborhood speed. The rattle I heard was the valve opening and closing rapidly. I think I got a new one from autozone for like ~$50. Gas mileage improved, and I felt I had more power. Also, the dealer could not locate the sound... even though they said they heard it.
that's kind of what mine sounds like but was the tapping a consistent rather ties to engine speed?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by primalurges
that's kind of what mine sounds like but was the tapping a consistent rather ties to engine speed?
It's been a long time since I solved this issue, but I recall it being a regular cadence that appeared at 1400 rpms and disappeared by 1600. I don't recall there being any variation in the rattle according to engine speed.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Check the EGR Valve. I had to get my neighbor to listen with a screw driver, while I had the truck in gear, and foot on the brake as well as the accelerator, to get the RPMs to 1500. It was comical to watch, I'm sure. I don't really recommend this, but it worked.

Mine sounded like a rattle can of spray paint at 1500 rpms. The way I understand it is that the EGR is supposed to close above 1500rpms, and if you spend much time at that engine speed, it can get confused when it wears out. For me this was typical neighborhood speed. The rattle I heard was the valve opening and closing rapidly.

I think I got a new one from autozone for like ~$50. Gas mileage improved, and I felt I had more power. Also, the dealer could not locate the sound... even though they said they heard it.
If he has a 5.4 3V, he doesn't have an EGR valve
Old 10-19-2014, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
If he has a 5.4 3V, he doesn't have an EGR valve
Indeed.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have these exact symptoms with my F-150 but it is a 2004 5.4 and I’m pretty sure it has no EGR because I can’t find it anywhere. Do you know how I could resolve without an EGR?

Quick Reply: Noise at 1500 rpm