Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No lights in my Instrument Cluster???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No lights in my Instrument Cluster???

I was in an accident and had some body work done, when i recieved my truck back everything looked good except my cluster lights dont work. i would take it back to the shop but this was 2 years ago.... i guess i lazy... i think maybe they welded with the battery cable on, could this cause a short?

anyway any help would be greatly appreciated

Is there a fuse for the Cluster? i have already pulled and inspected every fuse in the fuse box....

do i need to take apart my dash and check the bulbs???

2004 f-150 xlt supercrew

Please help... thank you

Last edited by Wadiz; 05-13-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot make and year
Old 05-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Combat Trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the owners manual for the fuse. i know theres one for those lights. you may have skipped over it on accident
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It took you two years to realize your dash lights did not work after having body work done? Or, you are just now wanting to fix them?

Never, never weld on nan auto with the battery cables installed. Your lucky it was just the dash lights that blew, although I'm not buying this story.

Sounds like your not telling us the full story here....

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-14-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
It took you two years to realize your dash lights did not work after having body work done? Or, you are just now wanting to fix them?

Never, never weld on nan auto with the battery cables installed. Your lucky it was just the dash lights that blew, although I'm not buying this story.

Sounds like your not telling us the full story here....

What else would you like to know??? if u read the whole post i said i was too lazy to fix the dash lights at the time... i posted a thread to see if someone could give me info, not a hard time. Theres nothin else to this story, Maybe someone else can help!
The following users liked this post:
Jack Vetra (02-18-2020)
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Gee, sorry to question. It just sounded hard to believe.

I'll assume the other dash bulbs light up (I.E. light switch, radio, steering wheel switches).

I'll also assume that NO FUSES are blown.

If it's just the dash gauges, you will need to remove the cluster to inspect the bulbs. To do this:

1) Remove the lower cover (below the steering column). Two bolts; either 8 or 10 MM).
2) Carefully grasp this panel and pull outward at the bottom, center, then top to pull it's snaps from the dash.
3) You will now be able to remove the two bolts (again, either 8 or 10 MM, I forget) that hold the upper dash plastic cover (dash gauge cluster).
4) Lower the steering wheel (tilt) all the way down. Now slide your hands along each side from the lower, middle, and top of this upper panel to pop off the panel clips. Then pull up and towards you.
5) You will now see the 4 bolts (8 or 10 MM) that hold in the gauge cluster to the main dash. Remove them. Disconnect the two upper wiring harnesses to the cluster; there is a "bar" on each harness that you slide to the left/right (left harness/right harness). This unlocks and pops up each harness from the cluster.
6) If your truck is an automatic with a column shifter, lift the cluster up enough (about 3 inches) so you can pinch the "P R N D 1 2" display and cable selector from the lower center cluster. There is a tab on the left and right side of this unit that you pull inward; the gear selector display will pull down.
7) You can now remove the cluster assembly, and flip it over. You will see the white bulb holders on the flexible circuit board of the clusters backside. Use a pair of plyers to turn the bulb holder(s) counter clockwise, and remove. Inspect the bulbs.

If there is no burned out bulbs, and you've already checked the fuses, then the circuit board of the cluster is fried.

Hope this makes up for my apparent dis-belief in your story!

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-14-2009 at 03:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Snap986 (09-16-2022)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Thank you kindly sir... i will give it a whirl.... and if the the cluster is fried, then what?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 PM

i would hope that by now you have checked the dimmer switch. if not its right next to the headlight switch, just roll the dial up. if you have then dont take offense from my suggestion.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by bigchief2472000
i would hope that by now you have checked the dimmer switch. if not its right next to the headlight switch, just roll the dial up. if you have then dont take offense from my suggestion.

good one man,,, you feel better now? did you make yourself laugh?
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 AM

that was actually a serious reply. sometimes its the most obvious solution that gets overlooked and i didnt see anything in your original post that mentioned trying that.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:16 AM

its all good.... im so frustrated... i have the cluster apart right now all the bulbs are good.. not sure what to do now???????

Quick Reply: No lights in my Instrument Cluster???