Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

no crank no start 2004 Ford Supercab v8 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no crank no start 2004 Ford Supercab v8 4.6

Having a problem with my S cab. The truck doesn't crank when I turn the key. No clicking sounds coming from the any of the relays. I have installed a new ignition switch and a new shift interlock solenoid. I bought a new battery. Still the beast won't start. I'm stumped.

Checked all the fuses. All the fuses are good, not blown. Replaced some of the relays on the power distribution box. Still doesn't crank... no power to the instrument cluster and the power windows wont roll down. No power to the radio.

Before the thing went and died on me I was some intermittent low load pulsing from the truck, like it was jerking. Nothing major just a slight hesitation, but enough tot where even my wife said something about it.

I have been reading all sorts of stuff from it being the fuel relay, PATS or the starter solenoid.

I was reading something about jumpering the starter, so i can find out if the problem is in the ignition system. to isolate the problem. How can i do that if it doesn't have any power to the system.

I wanted to start checking the wiring to see if i have power to any of the components, but not sure where to start. I can check with a voltmeter when i get home. I would appreciate any help as i dont to keep on buying parts for it and still not get it fixed.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a thought that'll cost some time and effort, but no money. On the wall behind your rear seat is the body security module. You might want to take a look at it to ensure it is properly plugged in and doesn't have any obvious damage or doesn't smell like the smoke escaped from it.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Test your alternator?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by fordpower150
Test your alternator?
Even with a bad alternator, the engine would still crank with a new battery.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond

Even with a bad alternator, the engine would still crank with a new battery.
Or he just used all the juice in the battery...happened to my friends jeep, changed the battery and run for a little until the new battery was dead. Then same thing no power for anything I had to give him a tow
Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Check to see if you have any power at your battery. Follow your ground side down to the end and see if you have any corrosion. Follow the hot line down to your starter to see if you have power there.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fordpower150
<snip>.happened to my friends jeep, changed the battery and run for a little until the new battery was dead.<snip>
There's the difference, he bought a new battery and doesn't even get a click.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by wrvond

There's the difference, he bought a new battery and doesn't even get a click.
Hey man it's just a suggestion...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BSOD
Having a problem with my S cab. The truck doesn't crank when I turn the key. No clicking sounds coming from the any of the relays. I have installed a new ignition switch and a new shift interlock solenoid. I bought a new battery. Still the beast won't start. I'm stumped.

Checked all the fuses. All the fuses are good, not blown. Replaced some of the relays on the power distribution box. Still doesn't crank... no power to the instrument cluster and the power windows wont roll down. No power to the radio.

Before the thing went and died on me I was some intermittent low load pulsing from the truck, like it was jerking. Nothing major just a slight hesitation, but enough tot where even my wife said something about it.

I have been reading all sorts of stuff from it being the fuel relay, PATS or the starter solenoid.

I was reading something about jumpering the starter, so i can find out if the problem is in the ignition system. to isolate the problem. How can i do that if it doesn't have any power to the system.

I wanted to start checking the wiring to see if i have power to any of the components, but not sure where to start. I can check with a voltmeter when i get home. I would appreciate any help as i dont to keep on buying parts for it and still not get it fixed.
There's a wire on the battery side under the good, not sure what color but its a weird type connector like a round type make sure that's plugged in all the way that will make the happen runs to the starter I believe
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 05stxgr

There's a wire on the battery side under the good, not sure what color but its a weird type connector like a round type make sure that's plugged in all the way that will make the happen runs to the starter I believe
Under the hood*

Quick Reply: no crank no start 2004 Ford Supercab v8 4.6