Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

new truck-looking for mpg mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck-looking for mpg mods

First of all, I understand that it takes a while for the money to be made back on the mods. I want a little extra power without sacrificing mpg.
I have already done a 2.5" level kit (procomp) and am about to put tires on. Was thinking either 33x11 or 33x12.5. Will I see a big difference in mpg between the two? Will both be able to fit in the spare spot?

Okay, on to the mod part...
I was thinking cold air intake and mass airflow sensor. What brand of intake do you guys recommend and will the MAF increase mpg?

Thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JLT, C&M, AEM, Airraid, and Roush are all great ones. Look at a gryphon tuner...
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the site. Year? Engine? Wheelbase? Cab?

Originally Posted by LongBed
I have already done a 2.5" level kit (procomp) and am about to put tires on. Was thinking either 33x11 or 33x12.5. Will I see a big difference in mpg between the two? Will both be able to fit in the spare spot?
The lift kit will hurt your MPG, but not a whole lot.

What tires came on the truck originally? Anthing larger will hurt performance and mileage.

I was thinking cold air intake and mass airflow sensor. What brand of intake do you guys recommend and will the MAF increase mpg?

Thanks
Intakes are a waste of money unless you get a tuner with custom tunes (and even then the improvement is very limited). Do the Gotts mod instead (use the search feature to find a post).

If there's nothing wrong with your MAF, why would you replace it?

Instead, change your air filter, fuel filter, plugs, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun

If there's nothing wrong with your MAF, why would you replace it?

Because he has probably read nonsense about it doing:

# Increased horsepower and low end torque
# Improved mileage
...such as the JET MAF which makes such absurd claims.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worse aerodynamics, larger tires, more hp, and no loss in mpg's?? Kinda sounds like an oxymoron to me. You can't have the best of both worlds, just have to make sacrafices.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

The best mpg mods ever invented are the least fun. Lighten your foot on the gas pedal, keep tires inflated properly, and coast to the stop signs and red lights. You will never find a more cost efficient method of saving fuel. How boring.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Was thinking either 33x11 or 33x12.5. Will I see a big difference in mpg between the two? Will both be able to fit in the spare spot?
The 12.50s will be minimally worse on mileage because of increased weight and drag, but will give you slightly better traction. IIRC my fullsize spare is a 275/70R18 (33.4 OD) so you should be fine height wise, I think the 12.50 will just stick a little further down ( I don't remember seeing anything below it).

Okay, on to the mod part...
I say skip the intake side (maybe do the Gotts mod and a filter if you want), and definitely do a tuner. You'll want to correct your speedo, odometer, and shift point with the new tires anyways, why not get some power and better shifting out of it too.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the proper intro: 2004 5.4L XL, long bed, standard cab, I believe the original tires were 235/75/17's. I have the stock fx4 rims and bf goodriches on it for now. Can't remember the size off of the top of my head. I can get 18 on the freeway if I'm light on the pedal (and I'm often am), and usually get around 16 mixed. I'm an avid hypermiler and am bringing my skill to bear. I know I can't expect to much increase, I guess I'm really just looking for some added performance without sacrificing any more mpg than necessary.

I'm leaning towards the 33x11 because of fender clearance issues under articulation as well as drivability in the snow. I know some people like wider tires in the snow and mud, but I don't. Call me crazy.

I didn't mention, but I was thinking of the gryphon tuner. I already use mid-grade gas, so I'm hoping this will help. I also like the control over shifting and all of the readouts. Will probably throw in a cold air intake to go with it. I noticed K&N wasn't mentioned. Is this for a particular reason? I noticed on the roush website the claimed power gains seemed higher than others (22 hp and 32 ft-lbs). Can anybody independently back this up?

As for the MAF, that's why I asked. Sounded fishy to me.
I got it a tune up as soon as I bought it and have a highly skilled mechanic on top keeping it ship shape. No problems taking the plugs out! 101,000 miles .

As for aerodynamics, what about a net tailgate or a flush camper? I had a friend that got 2-3mpg more consistently in his ranger on the freeway with his tailgate down. Anybody else's two cents? I know a camper costs the same as a lot of gas, but they're useful too!

Wow...that was a lot.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

By hypermiler, I hope that doesn't mean you shift into neutral when coasting downhill. If your truck is a 4x4, you are risking drive train damage. Check your owner's manual under Roadside Emergencies.

The Gryphon is a good choice, especially if you are running mid-grade (89?) fuel. Bill can write custom tunes for the 89 octane; right now you're justing wasting money.

I would skip the intake and do the Gotts mod. If you still want an intake, DO NOT do it until you have a tuner and custom tunes. You may burn pistons and valves.

Mythbusters did a show (or shows) on tailgates up or down. I think they concluded up is better. Not sure about a camper. Will the decreased drag make up for the increased weight? If you want a cheap way to improve your aerodynamics, get rid of the lift kit.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 AM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun

Mythbusters did a show (or shows) on tailgates up or down. I think they concluded up is better. Not sure about a camper. Will the decreased drag make up for the increased weight? If you want a cheap way to improve your aerodynamics, get rid of the lift kit.

They did 2, this one is the last one and they did more test:

Quick Reply: new truck-looking for mpg mods