Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New gears help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Question New gears help

Ok so once i get my tuck back from the shop im wanting to install 4.56 gears in her. The rear install is fairly simple and i have watched numerous videos on how to do it. My only worry is the front with it being an ifs system does that make it much different from the rear? Any help with how to do the front would be great. Also im looking at getting this kit from nitro gear. There reviews are great but has anybody used them or heard anything about them? Here is the kit: http://www.justdifferentials.com/For...pf150-4.11.htm
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

the front is just more tear down but the same process of setting back lash and checking gear mesh.

i don't want to scare you but i've done 2 gear swaps (not on an f150) the first time I didn't realize how important mesh and backlash are and had gear whine immediately... the second time i did it, I thought i did a good job but apparently not because (even though there wasnt any whine for a few months) it started whining pretty quickly. I was 17 or 18 at the time so that could add to it, and while I like to think of myself as mechanically inclined, I may be overly confident in my abilities but it's possible there is a lot of skill in doing this stuff right.

Quick Reply: New gears help