Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

new cats still bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new cats still bogging down

so i have tried everything trying to cure this bogging down issue from FPDM, to spark plugs o2 sensors new coils, fuel filter. The only thing i haven't done is cam phaser and injectors. Codes still say misfire code for cyl 5. any advice would be great. thanks

P.S. my buddy already suggested to put full coverage on it and run it into a wall but i don't want to do that LOL.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

First, stop tossing parts at it and diagnose the issue. If you cannot then you would have been money far ahead to pay someone who can. You need a trusted mechanic with a real scanner (not the cheap crap most people have that only gives generic codes). A ride along with a good scanner looking at live data will reveal where the problem is very quickly.

I am lucky that I have a friend who will scan for me when my generic scanner does not give me enough info.

Paying a guy (even a dealer tech) an hours time for a good and true diagnosis would have saved you money in parts and time in repairs.

No parts go on unless you know with certainty that is the issue.

A good and trusted mechanic is worth good money. Find one and pay him what he is worth. My buddy does not take money from me but a bottle of his favourite beverage is always welcomed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dirttracker18:
MGD (02-26-2016), mtulett1 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:57 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
First, stop tossing parts at it and diagnose the issue. If you cannot then you would have been money far ahead to pay someone who can. You need a trusted mechanic with a real scanner (not the cheap crap most people have that only gives generic codes). A ride along with a good scanner looking at live data will reveal where the problem is very quickly.

I am lucky that I have a friend who will scan for me when my generic scanner does not give me enough info.

Paying a guy (even a dealer tech) an hours time for a good and true diagnosis would have saved you money in parts and time in repairs.

No parts go on unless you know with certainty that is the issue.

A good and trusted mechanic is worth good money. Find one and pay him what he is worth. My buddy does not take money from me but a bottle of his favourite beverage is always welcomed.
Very Well Said !

OP - you have a 2005 5.4L 3V - hence, you need to read/address/rule out this ASAP, or you risk toastin' ye shiny new cats:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf

The other thing you should read is this - it may be follower-related:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-...-problems.html

Good luck!
MGD
The following users liked this post:
mtulett1 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I had not even thought of that. I assumed since the cats did not resolve the issue they were not clogged.

If your cats were indeed clogged then an upstream issue caused it and it needs to be addressed before it wrecks the new ones.

Clogged cats are a symptom of a problem, not the primary issue.
The following users liked this post:
mtulett1 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok here's what i figured out, cylinders 5 thru 8 have a low voltage issue to the injectors. only codes are cyl 5 and 3 misfire and P1464. so VCT solenoid ? or PCM problem?
how do i tell which it is

Last edited by mtulett1; 02-27-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: new cats still bogging down