Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New 06 Owner Couple ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 06 Owner Couple ??

Okay guys a bit, scratch that, total newb here, been doing a lot of reading and searching and thought I'd just bare my soul to you guys and ask what you think.

Purchased an 06 F150 5.4 with 54k miles on the clock. Real nice truck overall but have an issue.

1. Under hard acceleration it breaks up, the harder you mash the throttle the more it breaks up. If you're easy on the throttle it runs perfect, even if you're on the throttle say half way it runs pretty well until upper rpm but in the upper rpm the more you get into the throttle the worse the condition.

Now I know at 55k I should change the plugs if for nothing else than to make life easier getting them out before too much carbon build up so that's on the list for sure. What Plugs should I use?

What do you think is likely to be causing my problem? I know it's not likely the plugs (that I will change anyway) and am leaning towards the crank position sensor but have heard a place or two it's rare that is a problem.

I'll also change the fuel filter, just installed a new air filter, have three cans of seafoam (a bit more than 1 ounce per gallon) in with a fresh tank of fuel now. Plan to clean the throttle body.

So of course I'm hoping this tune up will fix my issue but does anyone have any insight into what they think the culprit is? Do I just need to get to work on this stuff or is there one thing I should tackle first? Extra time is pretty short for a few weeks and I'd prefer to get this issue fixed if its more like one thing as I won't have time to do it all for a few weeks.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:54 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Base line- 90% of problems are saprkplugs/boots

Your plugs and boots are the major source of misfires.. Do them right use oem plugs .This engine requires spark plugs and boots to be perfect .
Blow out spark holes before soaking with pb blaster or carb cleaner . Read factory TSB on plug removal .
Clean carbon out of tip area with carb cleaner .That carbon will damage new plugs and cause problems . Always use new boots . Clean tips of cops . Use dielectric grease on boot ends .
Torque wrench them in to 25-28 pounds . Double check them .
If you let it keep misfiring you may damage cats and thats expensive .
Seafoam really isn't going to do much good if any .Not good for cats .
Take your time and do it yourself . Yes pull the PCM and bracket of to get to 3 and 4 .
Old 03-02-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Motorcraft plugs, but at 54K, the original plugs are likely still in there. You should rent, borrow, or buy a lisle tool if you're going to change them out yourself. Most also recommend a bottle or two of seafoam or trchron cleaner right before you change them. Make sure you change the boots and springs on the coil packs as well and use a tad of dielectric grease to seal out moisture.

Hard to tell what's causing your issue. I would only be suspect of the crank sensor if you were getting a check eng light. Do you have a light on and if so, have you pulled any codes?

Most issues with this gen tend to be misfire related. I'd start with plugs and a fuel filter and see what that does for you.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 06 and had my plugs changed a@55K. No misfires, just wanted them done early. I found a Ford dealer that changed them out for $300-total price. I ran several tanks of Berryman B12 before the change, all came out w/o a problem. Shop said my coil packs were OK. The plugs were surprisingly worn-wouldn't have lasted much longer. Good Luck.

PS-Keep a eye on your oil level-these trucks use some oil between changes
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Check the condition of your FPDM also
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
Check the condition of your FPDM also
Thanks for the responses guys, is that the fuel pump driver modulator? Had to google that one
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
Motorcraft plugs, but at 54K, the original plugs are likely still in there. You should rent, borrow, or buy a lisle tool if you're going to change them out yourself. Most also recommend a bottle or two of seafoam or trchron cleaner right before you change them. Make sure you change the boots and springs on the coil packs as well and use a tad of dielectric grease to seal out moisture.

Hard to tell what's causing your issue. I would only be suspect of the crank sensor if you were getting a check eng light. Do you have a light on and if so, have you pulled any codes?

Most issues with this gen tend to be misfire related. I'd start with plugs and a fuel filter and see what that does for you.
The light will only flash if I stay in the threottle for a while and keep it misfiring, otherwise no light.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by TurnKey
The light will only flash if I stay in the threottle for a while and keep it misfiring, otherwise no light.

I would start with boots and springs on the coils. If that doesn't do I then plugs. Or if you want do them both while you're in there.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by TurnKey
Thanks for the responses guys, is that the fuel pump driver modulator? Had to google that one
Yes. Located on the cross-member above the spare tire. Common victim of corrosion
Old 03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default NRivera is correct to have lisle tool since this may be your first change

Originally Posted by nrivera04

That lisle tool is a big help for broken plugs , I broke 2 originally ,some guys break them all . I bought my own, some box stores may have them to lend .
Been so long since I have dealt with a first time change on this year of truck ,I plumb forgot . I do like techron fuel cleaner its good stuff . You don't have to use nickle anti seize if you use new style plugs and clean tip area carbon out .It was a temp fix until new plugs came out, A-seize can cause problems itself . . And another common failure is plugs backing out because they weren't torque wrenched in to 25-28 pounds .