Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New 02 sensors improve mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 02 sensors improve mpg?

An instructor at school told me replacing the 02 sensors will improve gas mileage, is that possible?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder06
An instructor at school told me replacing the 02 sensors will improve gas mileage, is that possible?
I dont think so but let someone respond also. I think it would only help mpgs if your check engine light is on.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Yes, there is a potential to get better MPG's or a smoother running motor by replacing or cleaning your 02 sensors...
It is hit or miss as far as results go.
I personally noticed a much smoother idle in my 5.0 bronco after replacing my 02s. But I also deleted my rear cats and hung some new to me (junkyard) exhaust. The O2s never threw a code and looked reasonably clean (gray colored buildup) when I pulled them.. I did notice some better MPG's out of the bronco, but its hard to really say because I deleted the cats and hung a dual exhaust at the same time.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
Yes, there is a potential to get better MPG's or a smoother running motor by replacing or cleaning your 02 sensors...
It is hit or miss as far as results go.
I personally noticed a much smoother idle in my 5.0 bronco after replacing my 02s. But I also deleted my rear cats and hung some new to me (junkyard) exhaust. The O2s never threw a code and looked reasonably clean (gray colored buildup) when I pulled them.. I did notice some better MPG's out of the bronco, but its hard to really say because I deleted the cats and hung a dual exhaust at the same time.
How would you clean the 02 sensors without damaging them?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

QED electrical cleaner and or MAF cleaner spray should do the trick...

I believe you can heat them up with a torch and then quench them in water as a method too.

The problem with pulling old 02 sensors is they sometimes seize right in the bung... If they do crank out sometimes the threads shear off the 02 or bung.. It would be a good idea to soak them with PB blaster or your favorite penetration lubricant for a full day before the job... If it were me, I would buy new ones to have on hand. It is very common to damage the 02 while it's being removed. You don't want to be caught with your pants down when swapping 02s. Your truck will run terrible without them.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hard is it to change them? According to the guy at the shop my check engine lights on cause I need new ones but he's trying to charge $800 for new ones
Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by durbs
How hard is it to change them? According to the guy at the shop my check engine lights on cause I need new ones but he's trying to charge $800 for new ones
Guy theres a chance its not even your o2 sensors ive have had so many vehicals and the cel would come on. And thats all they would tell me. Like the truck i have now thats all they could say and problem was the airfilter got smashed from the idiots at the lube and go. $10 fix
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 AM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Especial86
QED electrical cleaner and or MAF cleaner spray should do the trick...

I believe you can heat them up with a torch and then quench them in water as a method too.

The problem with pulling old 02 sensors is they sometimes seize right in the bung... If they do crank out sometimes the threads shear off the 02 or bung.. It would be a good idea to soak them with PB blaster or your favorite penetration lubricant for a full day before the job...
Oh yeah. I had to buy a new O2 sensor for my mom's car. My dad and I were changing out the rear one (FWD V6), and part of the thread of the old O2 stayed in the bung, acting as a burr. Ruined the threads on the replacement O2, so I had to buy a new one.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 AM
afg

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My o2 sensor gave me a code and the shop is gunna replace for a lil over a hundred bucks
Old 10-03-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your o2 sensor is on the outs I could see it making a difference. O2 sensor malfunction would likely result in a rich AFR (air to fuel ratio) giving you a exhaust smell, poor idle, and a considerable MPG loss. But I there is nothing wrong with them....not likely.

Quick Reply: New 02 sensors improve mpg?