Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need Some Quick Advice, Dropped My Oil Pan To See....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Need Some Quick Advice, Dropped My Oil Pan To See....

So, I replaced my VCT Solenoids due to a CRAZY noise the drivers side started making. I also got codes P0010 and P0020. I swapped them around and the code filled to the other bank, so, I knew one was bad.

Ordered MotorCraft from Amazon, along with a fuel filter (been a long while since replaced), cleaned throttle body and MAF.

So, just to be safe, as I was getting some VERY unusual noises, while u was at it, I just dropped the oil pan to check for debris or pieces of guides ect.....

To my surprise, there was no debris in the oil pan other than a little metal shavings (see pic). However, there is a ........maybe done sized piece of something in my sump screen that I got to get out.

So, here's what I need advice on.
1. Do I remove the pickup tube? How to clean it and with what?

2. Is it ok to clean everything inside the engine that's accessible through the oil pan while I have it off? What do I use and procedure if so?

I'd like to clean it to spotless, but I'm reluctant without knowing what's best to do.

I did put a small bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in before I dis the work.

I got the engine up to temp, added the MMO, let it idle for 15 mins and shut it down. I was told that would help clean the engine but not breakup too much at one time......i dunno, my first go at this. Had the truck nearly 13 years now and first it's been done and I was encouraged (somewhat) that there were no guide pieces in the pan.

One other question. Should I, for the next few oil changes, run some MMO through the oil b4 I change it to slowly clean it? I had just changed my oil 1000 miles ago, so it was fresh Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30.

Hoped I could get some advice, got to shower and reassemble.

Side note, pulling the oil pan on a 4x4 sucks! My 2wd 08 XLT was a cake walk compared to it!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:29 PM

155,000 miles, oil pan never cleaned before. IDK, is there any reaso. For concern based on whats in the pics?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I think the pan looks pretty good. I’m curious what the shavings are from, probably the heads where the cam rides. As far as cleaning everything, make sure the surface for the pan gasket is clean.

As long as you’ve kept up with your oil changes, not an extended interval, you should be relatively clean. How long have you used synthetic oils, even a better clean!

We recently opened an explorer 4.0, that always had conventional oil, changed on time, had 130k miles. Looked very clean. I wouldn’t be concerned because you’ve had the truck so long you know it’s maintenance best
Old 10-06-2017, 02:36 PM

If you unbolt the pickup tube, I just ran a hose with water thru mine to blow anything back out the screen. Make sure it’s fairly dry, reinstall.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Yeah, not sure what the shavings are from either.

Iv only used synthetic for the last 3-4 years. Didn't know the difference b4 that and was a skeptic till research convinced me to switch, and glad I did.

So, i ran conventional for....ohhh, 9-10 years b4 that! Used to always do oil every 5,000 miles but, for about 5 years of those 10, I towed a tandem axle trailer with me 5 days a week, and my nost lots of times on the weekends.

I now change every 4,000 with the synthetic, just bc She s gotten old and I try to keep it as clean as possible.

BUT, with that said, there is some varnish/ carbon is like to clean up while I got access to do it. Is it ok to clean insidebthe engine w rags? What do i clean it with? What to clean and not ok to clean?

Man in SUPER **** and meticulous, so, I'd like to take the time and clean every nook and cranny possible while it's apart. Just wanna make sure I don't use or do anything I'm not supposed to.

thank you very much for your response and advice!
Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Here are some pics of the oil pan on my 08 XLT when I took it off!!!

Glad my Lariat seems to have faired much better!!! LOL

These pics are just like I took it off, nothing had been touched. I think half the motor ended up in the pan! Even crazier thing is, it would still start up and run. I drove it into my shop when I got ready to check it out, it had no oil, and all the damage and would still run!!

On another note, so much for "quick" advice but, is it OK to clean inside the motor and if so, what to use?

Are there any areas or components that I need be sure and avoid?

There was quite a BANG when this happened. It blew flames out both front fender wells that ran up the side of the truck. I almost bailed out and let it burn!!

This is what was in the pan when I took it off.

If you look closely, you can see the piston.....actually the side of the piston where it lodged sideways in the cylinder.

I think there were some blockages in the pickup screen!!!!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 PM

If you want to clean, you can use any degreaser. When I had mine apart we cleaned with soap and water, mind you the whole thing was apart, then we rinsed with kerosine. My best advice is when you’re done cleaning, run a 500 mile or so oil change. You don’t have to use the best oil, just something cheap like Mobil 5000 conventional to get all the cleaner and dirty out of the nooks and crannies
Old 10-06-2017, 11:20 PM

But honestly you’re only gonna be able to clean the counter weights on the crank. And the main caps. Make sure that oil pan is nice and clean before you reinstall.

Btw holy hell on the 08. I will be looking at those pics for a while
The following users liked this post:
Jamieat (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
But honestly you’re only gonna be able to clean the counter weights on the crank. And the main caps. Make sure that oil pan is nice and clean before you reinstall.

Btw holy hell on the 08. I will be looking at those pics for a while
nk

Thank you very much for the advice.

My "mechanic" buddy is telling me to run 10 gallons of diesel or kerosene down the oil fill tube and let it drain out, then wipe, flush with some new oil, then fill with new oil and run.

What do you think?

I want to clean this darn thing but I have zero knowledge on this topic and I am reluctant to do anything unless I know it is the correct procedure. I've never heard of gas, diesel, or kerosene in the oil system to flush, but, I'm no mechanic either, I just like fixing my own!!

Only other debris was in the oil pickup tube. Got to clean it out and not sure exactly what it is yet.

Oh, and yes, the 08 was a tragedy!!! She had 272,000 miles on her.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:37 AM

looks like something may have hit the casing in the top right of the photo. I do not see what may have impacted it though.