Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Need some help with a U-joint/rear end yoke problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help with a U-joint/rear end yoke problem

So i just bought a 2004 f150 and it had a vibration when you release the throttle or hold a steady speed. I did notice this when i first drove the truck but i figured it was the u-joint and would be an easy fix. so while searching for a joint i find out that they are staked into the yoke in the 2004 so its gonna be a pain to change. well i go look at my shaft/joints to pinpoint the problem and i find that it appears that the front joint is staked and the rear joint has clips. So apparently someone has already knocked out the staked joints and replaced it with a normal one. Though i think they have cause deeper issues.

There is slack in the joint when you shake it in line with the cross. in other words it seems the cups are a little to far apart. It isn't a lot, maybe 1/8'' (maybe a little more) of slop between either cup, but i think that was enough to cause the bearing on the yoke going into the rear end to wear out and now there is a little slop at the yoke as well. I notice the only "kit" i can find for replacing the stacked in joints is the Neapco 3-0488 and it comes with spacers to use between the cups and the eclips to tighten it up.

My questions are did someone use a incorrect joint when they knocked out the stake joint and replaced it? Is it supposed to have that little bit of play between the cups? is the rear yoke on the rear-end supposed to be rock solid or is it supposed to have a little play in it? Is there a joint available that is the correct size to replace the stacked joint without buying that $70+ dollar neapco kit? (i don't need the tool now). Any help you guys can throw my way is much appreciated....thanks guys
Old 09-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

both the rear pinion and the u-joints should be free of play.. sounds like the PO did not install the correct u-joint..
Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear end isn't making any noise at all...no grinding or growling or any of that. Any chance I'll be able to get away with changing the joint (to the correct one of course) and tightening the pinion slightly?
Old 09-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

If the pinion bearing is shot...tightening will just make it worse...it could just be the u-joint...try it first but, the yoke assembly should not have any free play...so

Quick Reply: Need some help with a U-joint/rear end yoke problem